Charge port and cable replaced recently

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2015 SEL E-Golf stopped charging in early June.

There were no other symptoms. I tried L1 and L2 at home, then limped to the nearest L3 charging spot before calling for a tow to the dealer. The dealer had it for just over 5 weeks(!!!) to replace the charge port and cable. I have a friend who owns the same year/model, and also had his charge port and cable replaced, although his was due to physical damage of the port. His was covered under the VW warranty, although his repair took almost 7 weeks. I drive my car considerably more, and the 42,000 miles was beyond the VW warranty coverage. Fortunately, I bought an extended warranty through the dealer, and had a much more palatable $100 deductible for this $2,200 repair.

Yes, I understand the cable runs above the battery, and so the battery needs to be removed. However, $2,200 and 36 days to replace a cable seems like an awful lot to me.

I'm concerned that 100% of the 2015 E-Golfs for which I have direct knowledge have had this repair (even though my anecdotal sample size is only two). Has anyone else had this repair done? If so, at what mileage?

I am starting to worry that my 2015 e-Golf is heading this way. A Chargepoint level 2 charger I use multiple times a week won't latch into my car anymore. I haven't had a plug get stuck yet, but I'm worried something is going to happen. And my factory warranty expires in December.

I try to use public chargers as little as possible, as stated in the Owner's manual, try to recharge at home. I'm not seeing this as developing as an issue yet on 2015 SEL's. I think your sample size is disproportionaly small, otherwise we'd see more comments on it here. It's pretty rare, I suspect.

schleppy said:
I am starting to worry that my 2015 e-Golf is heading this way. A Chargepoint level 2 charger I use multiple times a week won't latch into my car anymore. I haven't had a plug get stuck yet, but I'm worried something is going to happen. And my factory warranty expires in December.

Does this behavior correlate to other charger stations or your unit at home or the one the car came with?

JoulesThief said:
I think your sample size is disproportionaly small, otherwise we'd see more comments on it here. It's pretty rare, I suspect.
My sampled size is absolutely disproportionately small, and I acknowledged it as much. Your statement about seeing more comments on here rings true though, so I'll chalk these two instances up as coincidence.

JoulesThief said:
I try to use public chargers as little as possible, as stated in the Owner's manual, try to recharge at home. I'm not seeing this as developing as an issue yet on 2015 SEL's.
I haven't read the owner's manual cover to cover- it states this? I almost exclusively charge at home. In fact, of all the times I've charged it in its 43k mile life so far, I could confidently say that it's been charged fewer than 10 times on anything other than my own L2 charger at home. I've only done L3 once, and I think 4 times on L2 away from home besides the dealer.

My charge port failed in December 2016, which was just shy of 12 months into my lease on a 2015 SEL. Had the same repairs done as described by the OP. It took several weeks, but I was lucky given a loaner vehicle. The funny thing is that I showed them the details other people here and on Facebook had shared for the same or similar problem, including the tech notes from other people's service histories. But they insisted on doing it piecemeal and tried multiple solutions before just going ahead with the replacement of the on board charger assembly and cables to the battery.

mhathawa said:
My charge port failed in December 2016, which was just shy of 12 months into my lease on a 2015 SEL. Had the same repairs done as described by the OP. It took several weeks, but I was lucky given a loaner vehicle. The funny thing is that I showed them the details other people here and on Facebook had shared for the same or similar problem, including the tech notes from other people's service histories. But they insisted on doing it piecemeal and tried multiple solutions before just going ahead with the replacement of the on board charger assembly and cables to the battery.
Noted, VW has a very rigid procedure for warranty work which the technicians need to follow to get paid under warranty, as well as the dealerships. So it's a slow, lengthy process.

Just took my 2015 e-golf in this morning .... started randomly charge would charge for 10-15 minutes then stop. Now it will stop after 5-10 min ... Charge port needs to be replaced !!! My car has 44,000 miles on it and dealership says they are verifying it’s covered but pretty sure it is cause they have already ordered the part. Service manager says he has done before on other e-golf and part has been ordered and car should be done by tomorrow. From previous posts read that it has taken customers several weeks to get car back. Almost find it too good to be true that I will get my car back so soon .

Sorry so late to this party. My 2015 egolf's charging port failed in February of 2017. The dealer replaced the port after keeping the car for about 10 days. I charge at home 99% of the time. Coincidentally, the GE Wattstation that I was using to charge the car at home failed and was replaced at the same time. I'm not sure what came first, the chicken or the egg. As an aside, we had a certified electrician install the Wattstation and he came out to confirm there were no issues with the electricity or wiring.

Under warranty, GE sent me a brand new Wattstation to replace the new one I had The brand new GE Wattstation subsequently died and became unusable in August, after only six months.

At some point during February and August, Chargepoint purchased GE's Wattstation division. Chargepoint after some deliberation were kind enough to send me a replacement charge point home charger. In march of 2017 the new chargepoint charger and the golf seem to get along quite nicely. THe Chargepoint charger seems a lot more robustly made and is easier to use.

Back