Winter Tires - e-Golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babakp

Greetings folks, just got a factory ordered Silver White with both packages and leatherette... looking forward to electrified driving!!

First question that comes up is what is the ideal winter tire/rim to maintain efficiency?

Will post pictures soon....

Winter tires won't maintain efficiency. In fact, with the cold your range will be reduced significantly due to snow, added rollng resistance, rain, using the heater instead of heating the seats, etc. If you want to maintain range, dress appropriately for the weather and don't use the accessories in your car. Even then, lithium batteries don't perform well in the cold.

Thanking you for posting but I had a specific question beyond the obvious; now that we need winter tires, what is the ideal tire/rim?

I went down a size to a 15" wheel, and certain tires are better for ice traction rather than deep snow traction...

although I didn't do any sort of testing or have any factual evidence... My hunch is that the ice traction tires will have better low rolling resistance than the deep treaded deep snow tires...

I got a barely used set of x-ice from facebook buy and sell group from someone that returned a gas golf lease and bought a passat and the wheels didn't fit anymore for him for $400...

better than spending closer to 1000$ on a tire/rim package.

I'm still waiting for my e-golf as well... If I do take delivery on it, it will likely be the middle of winter... I also have a deposit on a 2018 leaf, so if the leaf comes before the golf,... I may have a set of winter tires for sale :)

Do the rims from a MKVI Golf fit the e-Golf? I have a set of winter tires/rims from my 2012 TDI that I'm hoping will fit the e-Golf I have on order.

Thank y'all for sharing advice. I told the dealer to ask vw head office for suggestions.

Mine is delivered this Friday.

babakp said:
Thank y'all for sharing advice. I told the dealer to ask vw head office for suggestions.

Mine is delivered this Friday.

Lucky... Where and when did you order it? I put my deposit down first weekend of august and still waiting for even a follow up on it...

flyboy320 said:
Do the rims from a MKVI Golf fit the e-Golf? I have a set of winter tires/rims from my 2012 TDI that I'm hoping will fit the e-Golf I have on order.
yes. the wheels will fit. they have the same 5x112 bolt pattern.

babakp said:
Thanking you for posting but I had a specific question beyond the obvious; now that we need winter tires, what is the ideal tire/rim?
There are lots of winter tire options in our stock 16" size. I've had the best traction on ice and snow with Blizzaks and the Michelin X-Ice. I've also had high performance winter tires like the Michelin Alpin PA4, Dunlop Winter Sport and while they handle better dry roads, their ice/snow traction isn't as good.

As for wheels, its pretty easy to find a set of stock VW 16" take off wheels and they are pretty cheap.

babakp said:
Greetings folks, just got a factory ordered Silver White with both packages and leatherette... looking forward to electrified driving!!

First question that comes up is what is the ideal winter tire/rim to maintain efficiency?

I always get the package from the dealer for winter rims and rubber, I want enhanced traction for safety , range is secondary imho. I had Nokian ( sic ) finland tire on my 09 jetta , worked very well

Kosta said:
babakp said:

I always get the package from the dealer for winter rims and rubber, I want enhanced traction for safety , range is secondary imho. I had Nokian ( sic ) finland tire on my 09 jetta , worked very well

Agreed. Obviously this is too new for any relevant use case info. I had a chat with salesperson when picking up and we decided to wait another month or two in case there are new revelations. I think best case scenario would be to have the same rims that come with the car with the best winter tires that fit it. As in all ideal cases, it will probably be too costly.
The dealer/factory supplied bundle is just regular steel rims which is possibly twice the weight.

I will write their German HQ and see if the factory has new ideas but will buy at the very last chance to be sure.

babakp said:
Agreed. Obviously this is too new for any relevant use case info. I had a chat with salesperson when picking up and we decided to wait another month or two in case there are new revelations. I think best case scenario would be to have the same rims that come with the car with the best winter tires that fit it. As in all ideal cases, it will probably be too costly.
The dealer/factory supplied bundle is just regular steel rims which is possibly twice the weight.

See this. There is typically little weight difference between atypical factory alloys and their steel rim counterparts. Exceptions to this are specific lightweight alloys, forging, or minimal spoke designs that often compromise strength.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

2016golfse said:
babakp said:

See this. There is typically little weight difference between atypical factory alloys and their steel rim counterparts. Exceptions to this are specific lightweight alloys, forging, or minimal spoke designs that often compromise strength.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

Thank you very much this is perfect info. Steel rims it is then

babakp said:
Thank you very much this is perfect info. Steel rims it is then

You'll be just fine. Don't forget that the US 2015 Limited Edition versions had steel rims too.

I don't mean to hijack the topic and I think this question may be relevant to the OP as well. Aside from the bolt pattern on the steel rims (5x112), is there anything else that needs to be taken into account for the eGolf? I'm also looking to get some steel rims the winter tires and I see costco.ca has some affordable 15" ones. (X11998N) for $49 CAD a piece.

installed Pirelli Ice Zero rf on the egolf today , prep for snow .. 15 inch rim bit more sidewall than stock .. i will report later on how they do

I did the same, I found a set of used x-ice with one season on them on facebook buy and sell group for 400$ on 15" steel rims. The previous owner traded in his golf for a passat and wheels didn't fit anymore for him...

I do really like the Blizzaks though, had them on my other cars and have to say prob the best winter tires I've owned... Let's see how these x-ice stack up against them...

I'm still waiting on delivery, and if I take the delivery to try them out... if not, I might have them for sale again and find winter tires for the 2018 leaf instead :)

I did not want to get steel rims so I went I bought the actual rims on this car. I first went to the dealer and they wanted 650 per rim. I thought that was crazy, so I started looking online and found they are selling the same rims in Germany on eBay for 315 Euros. So, I got 4 of the same rims for 350 Euros + 150 Euros for shipping. Next, I went to Costco and get the W80 Blizzaks for 680 includes install, taxes.

wWmGFYxTVbxyztDD1xRr462Jr3mr0vJOks4_lDMUvdV18Stt0Fgonwr4LD8jg0crOny6S8yIeOqxsoSDteD0MBDM4KOVryGunPi57hgzXlChFNYvt_6PsvLha602qYLH9867XWIKL6AWPgNoVVUFmRfkY-T9QSkWtmqdqUi_an2IpGjpRBAjM7zAyRP_Vbpm7lKJCSOlW9903tvH4BHzu9Bq1Okc-lxueyZ6FmyNHAe4ZS4Va0cIibWqPHQAuQbID_V7PvdNql5GnKmtor_nWUcB2gsr7YnwM6CoGql4zLoan0Vu7CdPAzh3JtVzaX5VAtIvtYULQtG5wUtNfIHkWqK7foAbXynnH97HqaLQKcDqZIknGc_GO6svfl3jB0bYyvuFDo9p4C0_iuur9V8Z7kk9p2r12uRzdfosIss1P6I6GzW0EUGfNNlnYGunZubgDqXAHoZ_iiyYnXqZZAKjB5clQIjuOS6n_dl913fGnQHJs9O7LH4pxpn5FaNfGCy3onnii9v-rp74vbAKWlFEWsDBSb67GpgUH3tItNA5lBqbkZE8-uQqVRYbqGk8LQ=w1920-h925

Back