Fluxcapacitor

Re: eGolf wheel & tire recommendations

Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:11 pm

Update since my last post above. After installing Michelin CrossClimate+ on the front axle, the average miles per kWh has jumped up a whole mile! From a long term average of 2.7 to now 3.7. I’m baffled as to why, but it has. Nothing else has changed apart from the front tires, so it must be the newer tech tires. Exclusively fairly aggressive downtown City of Chicago driving, in normal mode.
Carbon emitters: Audi A8L, TVR Tuscan
Carbon offset emitters: 2016 e-Golf SE

BomBoi

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:34 am

Good to hear, maybe ill give them a try when the time comes.
17 e-Golf SE Urano Grey
01 Porsche 996TT Speed Yellow

cctop

Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:44 pm

Fluxcapacitor wrote:
Update since my last post above. After installing Michelin CrossClimate+ on the front axle, the average miles per kWh has jumped up a whole mile! From a long term average of 2.7 to now 3.7. I’m baffled as to why, but it has. Nothing else has changed apart from the front tires, so it must be the newer tech tires. Exclusively fairly aggressive downtown City of Chicago driving, in normal mode.
Most likely it has to do with ambient temperature.

I bet that the average of 2.7 m/kWh was during a cold Chicago winter, while 3.7 m/kWh is from more spring and summer driving.
2019 eGolf SE w/DAP Indium Gray Metallic
2016 eGolf SE Limestone Gray (Lease returned)

Fluxcapacitor

Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:43 am

cctop wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:44 pm
Fluxcapacitor wrote:
Most likely it has to do with ambient temperature.

I bet that the average of 2.7 m/kWh was during a cold Chicago winter, while 3.7 m/kWh is from more spring and summer driving.
Could be, although I changed the tires mid July so well into summer and after months of warmer ambient temps. The consumption number jumped within a week of the tire change. So I think it’s reasonable to say that weather/temp factors aren’t the main driver here.
Carbon emitters: Audi A8L, TVR Tuscan
Carbon offset emitters: 2016 e-Golf SE

3mph

Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:46 am

Just posted this on another thread (sorry for duplicate). But another option to change the look of Astanas is to use some vinyl wrap. No range penalty!
https://flic.kr/p/2jSzK7o

amcrebelsst

Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:41 pm

Hey everyone, I’ve been reading the forum for a while but I just signed up today. I just wanted to add to the tire recomendations.

I bought a used 2015 E-Golf about two years ago. It came with some cheap Mastercraft Stratus tires. Overall the tires were relatively quiet and rode ok, but the grip was pretty bad. I always squealed tires from a stop and around corners. The efficiency was about 4.4 mpkwh at an average speed of 30mph. I drive mostly city with occasional freeway runs. The highest I have ever seen the mpkwh was 5.5 or so but that was coming to a stop with the re-gen in D3.

I got tired of the squealing tires so I decided to upgrade. Also one of my stock 16” pizza cutter rims was curbed so I wanted to replace that too. Well, the stock wheels are pretty expensive and very ugly so I looked into other wheels. I found OEM 18” V-spoke wheels for an Atlas Cross Sport on VW’s website for 140 a peice and I bought Continental Pure Contact LS XL in 225-40-18. I have only driven 60 miles so far but I did reset my driving data and am averaging 4.9mpkwh at an average speed of 30mph and efficiency spikes to 8mpkwh coming to a stop in D3. The ride is slightly rougher than the stock 16’s but not by much. The tires are pretty quiet. You can still hear them, but it’s better than the cheap tires. I did not weigh the wheels but are most likely about 25lbs and the tires are about 21 for a total of 46 roughly. I gave as much info as I could to you guys. This set-up worked out well for me, but thats probably because I wasn’t getting optimal efficiency from the old tires. So I guess just compare your efficiency with my new set up to decide if this would work for you.

One last thing: the offset on these wheels is 34et and they are 18x8. The wheels are flush with the fenders in the rear and have about 5mm “too much” poke in front. I think it still looks great and at stock spring height there is no rubbing at all lock to lock and going over large speed bumps. I have no way currently to upload a pic, but I will when I get it figured out. So, there’s my experience so far. Your milege will literally vary. Will update in a few weeks.

amcrebelsst

Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:57 pm

Ok, quick update. Disregard the new wheel efficiency I stated above. The fact that I reset the data and the fact that the tire shop had my tire pressure ranging from a low of 33 in one tire and a high of 46 and two at about 40 may have skewed the numbers.

I did two 30 mile trips today. 15 miles city, 15 miles freeway on each trip. I just drove normal, I didn’t try to drive for mileage.

First trip was at 40 degrees ambient. Tires set to 43 psi. I averaged 40mph and 4.0mpkwh exactly.

Second trip was at 58 degrees ambient. Tires set to 39 psi. I averaged 39mph and again 4.0mpkwh exactly.

Something interesting I found out. If I set the TPMS tire pressure in the infotainment while at a stop (which is what I have always done) the GOM is laughable. And my mpkwh on the screen jumps around a bit while driving. But if I set the TPMS pressure while rolling at about 20mph the GOM becomes very accurate and my mpkwh stays rock solid 4.0mpkwh. Of course it takes a couple miles to climb to 4.0, but once it gets there, it stays there. City driving 4.0, freeway driving 4.0. The GOM is right on the money. I tested this a few times today resetting the TPS at a stop and while rolling and it does indeed make a difference on my car. Maybe this is already known, but it’s new to me

amcrebelsst

Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:58 pm

Made one more 30 mile trip. Same route as before.

52 degrees ambient, 37 psi tires. 40mph average and 4.1mpkwh. Ride was nice at 37 psi. Better than the old 16 inch tires. I’m gonna leave it there for a while.

pjohanss

Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:32 pm

Long thread so please excuse me if this has already been covered.

Has anyone put original GTI wheels (Dallas) on an e-Golf?
Fits? How does the car drive? Range difference?

Tire size 225/40ZR18 and the alloy wheels are 8x7.5 et49.

Thanks.

f1geek

Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:44 am

I think you’ll find a post about this on the forum. Yes, you will lose range - my guess is about 5 to 10% less - but improve handling. If you want better handling I bet putting summer perf. Tires on the stock rims would make a huge difference and not lose as much range.
2017 e-Golf LE, Multi Coat White with Black Vegan Leather interior

Return to “Technical Discussions”