Random radio outage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently had my radio stop playing on a short, everyday drive. Infotainment system was still operational (pushed buttons responded), but I had no sound from the radio. Once I restarted the car, the radio was back to normal. Has anyone else encountered this?

Mine did that today.

I just held in the power/volume control until the unit rebooted.
After the reboot everything was good.

Barry

I have encountered situations where the infotainment system got confused on whether it should be playing sound from the radio or carplay, which I use. For me, usually unplugging the USB cable and plugging it back in got the infotainment system back into sync.

I am having this problem intermittently as well. Very annoying. (2017 SE only 2.5 months old)

I get the radio cutting in and out, but this only occurs when listening to HD, as the signal is not as robust as FM or AM. Otherwise the infotainment as been solid for five months. Oh no part of Car-net is about to expire soon. :|

Periodically I get no audio from CarPlay on startup. If I change the volume, it shows a muted icon. Flipping to radio and back fixes it. So many bugs!

This happen to me for the first time in my 2016 egolf. i just turned off the car and waited and turned it back on and so far it hasn't happened to me again.

Probably not related, but this is 100% repeatable for me, so I thought I'd share:

We were headed out and my wife's Apple Watch was nearly dead, so she grabbed her magnetic usb charger and plugged it in the car. Just the act of having that plugged in completely blanked the radio - no power, black display. Unplugging it brought the unit back up, and I was able to repeat the issue every time.

Interesting...well, I took the eGolf in to the dealer on Nov 26, 2017 & they replaced some parts (under warranty) and it hasn't happened since (until now). Yes, I was happy I hadn't gotten the silly radio outage (just volume) problem happening & thought it was a fixed issue :) . It happened to me again today at 5:08 PM on a very normal drive, coming home from work. No freeway, no hills, no super speed-racing--I try to keep my speed under 45mph on major surface streets. I went ahead and played with all the things I could on the Infotainment system: AM vs FM, CarPlay, volume all the way up, & all the way down, turing Infotainment system off completely, turning it back on after about 10-20 seconds, even trying to see if the sound would play from a CD that was in the CD player. All resulted in nothing. :|
This seems like such a silly/non-urgent issue to take it into the service department for, but it is still a newer car (2016 SE). I do get a slight "blip/beep" noise right before it goes out...

Back