Cost of the 20k?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forbin404

Just checking with people who already got their 20k

Mine is due in Dec (When I bought the Car)

I called around in SoCal here's what I got.

20k Full Service - $135
20k High Voltage check out only - $80

Someone posted here it was $300, so I was a bit shocked that mine is $135.

Is the the $55 diff worth (or just DIY it)

• Brake Check
    Pollen Filter
    Rear Window sprayer check
    Tire Rotation
    Fluid check

forbin404 said:
Just checking with people who already got their 20k

Mine is due in Dec (When I bought the Car)

I called around in SoCal here's what I got.

20k Full Service - $135
20k High Voltage check out only - $80

Someone posted here it was $300, so I was a bit shocked that mine is $135.

Is the the $55 diff worth (or just DIY it)

• Brake Check
    Pollen Filter
    Rear Window sprayer check
    Tire Rotation
    Fluid check

I don't think any of that is necessary. If you are the least bit mechanically inclined, you can do all of that yourself, instead of sitting around at the dealership in line, waiting for them to "inspect" everything and find nothing wrong. Get your tires rotated, check and add windshield fluid, and check /replace your wipers before the rainy season if they've rotted out.

The range on my battery is currently 118 miles. I did 110 miles on a full recharge this past week, all driving at up to 45 mph on Blvds, stop and go, and still had 8 miles left on the battery at 6.2 miles per KWH average for the whole charge. So I am not worried about checking the battery. It's doing fine, as is, about 13.8k miles on it in 2 years. My annual driving patterns and habits fit VW's ideal profile for an e-Golf owner... stay off of freeways, and use it as an urban city crawler in stop and go traffic. Used 19.8 KWH to recharge it that time, car probably only got 91% of that useable in the battery. 2 hours and 45 minutes to recharge it at home, 239V at 30 amps with my e motorwerks EVSE Pro 40.

As mentioned, they will try and slip in some Jiffy Lube upgrades to buff their bottom line.

With that said, I JUST received the invoice for my late 10k (ODO ~17k) and combination 20k service. This is USD in a downtown Chicago dealership (more expensive than your average expensive VW dealwership).

Here's is what they charged me for, minus some warranty things I had done at the same time:

1. PERFORM 20,000 MILE SERVICE CHECK WHAT IS NEEDED BEFORE PERFOMING [sic] SERVICE - $174
PARTS: 17786 1.20 PERFORMED 20K SERVICE INCLUDING REPLACING THE POLLEN FILTER AND ROTATING THE TIRES
2. Client authorized the tire rotation. ROTATE Client authorized the tire rotation. $25.00 - [note that this was supposedly covered by the 10/20k service, you may be able to fight to get the charge included]
3. CABIN FILTER FILTERX CABIN FILTER 111 CPV 1 5Q0-819-653 DUST FILT. $34.77 [also supposedly covered by the 10/20k service]
4. Classic environmental charge: $31.84

Total for my 10/20k service plus extra junk with tax is $272.43. If you contest the rotation and filter charges as being charged separately when they book says they're included (check your manual), and not live in a huge city that can charge whatever it wants, I'm sure you could get it down to ~$135.

Recent buyer of a used eGolf and have my 20k service coming up.

Curious to know whether any sort of electrical/battery diagnostic is a standard part of the 20k service or whether that's something one needs to suggest. I don't currently have reason to believe anything is wrong, but would like to verify that everything is working as expected and if there are any firmware updates that they get taken care of.

my 20k (Which I only got last week) included testing the system and checking for any updates (none).
Cost to me $65.

As a side note, I bought the car in with a squealing brake, turned out a rock lodged right between the caliper and the disc. They took care of it for free.

I bought eGolf 2017 recently with 30K Express Maintenance for $470. The finance manager said it is 25% less from original price and I believed...
It was late at night. I guess I need to call them tomorrow and ask to remove it from my contract. Hope it is not too late.

YeGolf said:
I bought eGolf 2017 recently with 30K Express Maintenance for $470. The finance manager said it is 25% less from original price and I believed...
It was late at night. I guess I need to call them tomorrow and ask to remove it from my contract. Hope it is not too late.

Read the language on your contract for the Express Maintenance - it should be a separate document from the purchase contract and will have language on it on how long you have and how you go about canceling it. Is it Volkswagen or a 3rd party?

I wouldn't bother going back to the stealership unless you can't figure it out. These types of things are padding for their pockets and they tend to get upset when you yank them away. But yeah, do cancel it, it's ridiculous.

@Spektre
The total amount I paid (financed) for the car already include Express Maintenance. And looks like they need to change the contract and I have to sign the new contract.

At my dealer I had to listen about all the optional warranty plans, a dealer requirement I was told. They even had coverage for the wheels in case of curb rash, in which some person would come out and grind off the offensive marks. I politely turned them all down despite the special discounts. When I returned to have the wife sign the docs he had just gotten an email that lowered the price even further on the most comprehensive plan. I politely passed again. He seemed surprised and tried engaging my wife, who also passed on it, love her. After this we sailed through the rest of the docs and drove away with our new car.

SocaleGolf said:
At my dealer I had to listen about all the optional warranty plans, a dealer requirement I was told. They even had coverage for the wheels in case of curb rash, in which some person would come out and grind off the offensive marks. I politely turned them all down despite the special discounts. When I returned to have the wife sign the docs he had just gotten an email that lowered the price even further on the most comprehensive plan. I politely passed again. He seemed surprised and tried engaging my wife, who also passed on it, love her. After this we sailed through the rest of the docs and drove away with our new car.

I never take any additional warranty or any other plans. I don't know what was wrong with me at that time.

SocaleGolf said:

I bought an extended warranty once. The dealer still found wiggle room to claim that it didn't cover the thing that went wrong.

Over forty years I have bought ten cars. The one that I bought a warranty for wasn't covered for the bad fuel pump. (warranty covered engine, transmission, suspension, electronics in the dash and under the hood.) None of the other cars had anything that a warranty would have covered.

The main value of an extended warranty is to protect people who will not survive a catastrophic mechanical failure. If a guy is living paycheck to paycheck and the new truck is his business' life, then yes, buy a warranty for that. If one has retirement savings, money in the bank, and the car is their daily driver or weekend car, a warranty does not pay for itself. That's just a mathematical certainty, the principle is "expected return".

Back