Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dead Key fob - how to enter car ?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:30 pm 

The battery on key fob died completely while I was away from home and as a result I was completely locked out of the car. The worthless CarNet app was no help in unlocking the car and I had to leave my car in the parking lot. So, any idea how one can get into car and start if if the fob is dead ? I know it's possible on other gasoline cars, but I have no clue where the key hole is on the 2015 eGolf. Any ideas ?

And a related questions - When I put in brand new batteries in the fob, the light on the fob doesn't blink. This happens to both the fobs. Has anyone experienced something like this? (No, I don't have the car with me when I do this...)
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Dead Key fob - how to enter car ?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:14 pm 

On the exterior, there's a plastic cover next to the door handle. Remove the cover, and use your mechanical key. To start the car, hold the key fob against the right side of the steering column (either that or to the right of the start button, I forget which) before hitting the start button.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:16 pm 

What 2016 said, I put that in the Wiki.

Regarding the Batteries, the Remotes are very picky, if the batteries are slightly out of spec (Like those batts you buy from Amazon and come in packs of 20), they won't work. I had to go to the 99cent store and get a pack of three and those worked fine.

2016 e-Golf SE (Returned)
2015 Fiat 500e (Returned)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:52 pm 

You read the Owner's manual, before operating the car very much.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:52 am 

2016golfse wrote:
On the exterior, there's a plastic cover next to the door handle. Remove the cover, and use your mechanical key. To start the car, hold the key fob against the right side of the steering column (either that or to the right of the start button, I forget which) before hitting the start button.

Thanks for the solution !

forbin404 : I see what you mean about the batteries. I have a pack I bought on Amazon that seems to be giving up on me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:13 am 

2016golfse wrote:

It's on the right side of the steering column, where a key would be on non-KESSY versions. You can see the embossing in the plastic of where you need to hold the fob.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:42 pm 

Hello,
By digging around the owner's manual and heeding the advice here, I was able to get it done .. not quite a intuitive as it sounds/looks - even from the schema/"drawing" followed.
So here is an attempt to make things clearer.
i) the handle (the part that you pull has a touch-sensitive slot : do not force your key there.
ii) the actual hidden-key part is the next one to your right that does _not_ move with the handle.
iii) underneath there is a small notch - you can pry apart from the door (I would recommend you protect with a small piece of paper or anything thin - but that will protect the paint/finish.
-> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oinriZD9ic46pIQg9fvNqd_l-vqRVxTS
iv) once you've wedged that apart - it will reveal the key hole.
-> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1asauFA3M2JSoI5SzRNZhTLzOsUY5FZUk
bonne chance.
Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:11 am 

This video goes over how to access and start the car when the fob battery is dead. The video is generic for all VW models with keyless entry and the e-Golf is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOeoBQzesgw