Battery Heater Functional Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, I’ve done a lot of searching but didn’t find the answer I’m looking for so I made an account.

Within the household we have a 2015 Leaf S, and a 2014 i3 BEV. I am looking at a 2015 E-Golf SEL.

The Leaf has a battery heater that is only automatically actuated when the battery reaches 13°F and the car is plugged in, it is only 300W, so the user needs to plan charges and more aggressive driving styles to increase the temperature for better range and charge speeds.

The i3 uses the heat pump or resistive heater to pump heated coolant through the battery to heat it (I’ve seen it raise the battery temp from 23° to 50° on a recent 17° day) and can be turned on by setting a departure time 3hrs in advance, provided the car is plugged in.

I’ve found that the e-golf does have a battery heater, but I’m curious what the design of it is, and under what circumstances does it function- during preconditioning? Only below xx°? Automatically as needed?

I live in upstate NY where a great portion of our year in the 15-25° range, I don’t mind the Leaf, but I prefer the i3 battery thermal management style for consistent range and usability, especially when parking up for a few days in cold temps.

Thanks for any info in advance!

This might be helpful.

https://pulse.vwmodels.ca/2017/03/2017-e-golf-maximizing-electric-car-range-winter/

How did you find out that the e-Golf has a battery heater? I thought that there was no active source or heating for the e-Golf battery other than the internal resistance generated heat when charging or when drawing power from the battery. What type of system heats the e-Golf battery?

Back