Compass stuck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustboy

The compass at top center of my instrument cluster screen always reads "SW". Anyone else have this issue? Ideas to fix it?

Dust boy,
So many smarta$$ answers. Where do I start!
No, not gonna, mmmmust resist.

Have you followed the calibration instructions?

Barry

Do you mean I have to wave my car in a figure 8 like my phone?

I don't see anything about calibration in the instructions. I am assuming of course that the car is capable of moving in directions other than South West. Or that perhaps it's not a compass but an advertisement for an airline.

Or maybe the Earth is actually revolving underneath me rather than me traveling over it? Or have the flat-earthers finally been proven correct?

See I can be a smarta$$ too. :mrgreen:

Get a tape demagnetizer and rub the entire car with it.

I looked in the egolf manual....... crickets
I googled, not much there other than a reboot the car suggestion.

I suspect the car is totaled, lease another.

BTW manual tells not to reboot the car, then gives instructions on how to reboot.
You can’t make this stuff up.

I suspect the sensor is in or around the rear view mirror. You didn’t place anything near did you? Dashcam maybe.

Barry

How about you call a service manager at your local VW dealership and get an answer.

That said, on my other VW car products, it's my belief I had to drive in a full 360 degree circle a time or two to calibrate it. I'd also try activating the navigation button on your infotainment center before driving in that circle.

Hmm, I did stick my FasTrak tag to the windshield above the mirror, I'll see if removing it makes any difference.

Really though, it's one of those problems that is just a curiosity, not something I'd spend half a day taking it to the dealer for. I don't have a Nav disc because my phone does a much better job of driving directions.

dustboy said:
Hmm, I did stick my FasTrak tag to the windshield above the mirror, I'll see if removing it makes any difference.

Really though, it's one of those problems that is just a curiosity, not something I'd spend half a day taking it to the dealer for. I don't have a Nav disc because my phone does a much better job of driving directions.

I have a FasTrak stuck to my windshield just above the mirror (as recommended) and I haven't had any issues with the compass. Why not do as Joules suggested and find an empty parking lot and drive it in a circle a couple of times, then do it the opposite way? Heck, maybe try the figure-8 method recommended for smartphones too. It doesn't cost you anything but a few minutes of your time and a few watt-hours of battery.

VW doesn't use a nav disc on its current models with navigation. The data is stored in an SD card, albeit shipped in the car in the same size holder as used for DVD's. I do agree that it's not as good as the apps you can use on a smartphone.

Back