Has anybody registered for Car-Net for conditioning?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cove3

Your supposed to be able to schedule delayed charging and conditioning (warm up the car before you take it out) from your home computer. These two functions are free for 3 years after the 6 month trial ends. I don't have or need iphone mobile at 20/month, but I would use those two functions since they're free

Has anyone registered and done this?

Ron

Yes, just press the "i" button in your car and they'll get your car-net account setup. I haven't used the timer feature (no need for it), but the pre-heating is nice :)

I'm logged on to car net from my desktop. Under dashboard, I don't see any where to delay charge or to pre heat the car. What is available seems pretty trivial and I can't see myself having much use aside from perhaps destinations

Ron

cove3 said:
Your supposed to be able to schedule delayed charging and conditioning (warm up the car before you take it out) from your home computer. These two functions are free for 3 years after the 6 month trial ends. I don't have or need iphone mobile at 20/month, but I would use those two functions since they're free

Has anyone registered and done this?

Ron
Hi Ron, I think there are other forum discussions that address this issue but the delay charging should be a big deal, at least if you live in SCE supplied power cities. The rates are very different depending upon when you plug in if you're on a tiered program to get the lowest rate. 12 am till 6am is only 10c KW/Hr vs. 30c KW/hr in daytime peak hours (these times will change in new year but not the rates).
Delay charging means you can set it up to charge at the lowest rate time. The problem we have is the function doesn't work even when set up on the computer, the iphone app is terrible, only providing part of the settings of the online version and the phone "technical support" is essentially non-existent, it feels as though you are training them.
This is a huge issue for us, my wife uses the car as a commuter and to get up to go to work to find it hasn't changed overnight is un acceptable and were not going to get up at midnight to plug it in manually. They outsourced Car-Net to a third party so you have to deal with them but ultimately it is VW's reputation that will suffer if they dont get this fixed.

I don't have a meter to record time of day usage and con ed wants 20/month for one. Plus other than the car, I dont have any other 12-8am usage to offset the higher 8-2 and 2-4 rates I would be charged which are above my overall .30 rate, so my bill would go up dramatically

I agree car net is of limited usefulness unless it improves dramatically. I wouldn't pay 20/mo plus I assume a bunch of taxes

Ron

It is a bit of a disaster to wake up and find that your EV was not charged overnight.
I'd say that two out of four days this has happened.
Tech support, and noted, is not up to speed on the EV part.
Same with dealer.

Since the charges I use has delayed charging, am going to see if that will work more consistently.
It did not in the past, but may be due to the car net app still being "active"?

BTW, Rachel has a great post somewhere on here with step by step detailing how to set up the delayed charging.
I thought the jack pot was reached when discovering that indeed the time zone on the car was set to Germany and changing it to Pacific, but no such luck.

cove3 said:
I'm logged on to car net from my desktop. Under dashboard, I don't see any where to delay charge or to pre heat the car. What is available seems pretty trivial and I can't see myself having much use aside from perhaps destinations

Ron

On the carnet website.

If you choose the e-Settings tab from on the very left hand side, you'll get a menu on the right.

The menu has the option "Manage your battery" with the view link next to it.

Then on the right hand side there's an option for me that says
"Energy Schedule is not Available" (that doesn't seem good :) )
and a link "view energy schedules"
There's also a link below that "Create an energy schedule"

Both view and create links take me to the same place. I was able to see the energy schedule I had setup previously.

The profile on the web site is called "Factory Settings". On the phone they have Charging Locations which seem to correspond to a profile on the website. On my phone I had renamed this one to Home, but it didn't have that name on the website. It doesn't seem to let you change the factory settings on the website. (Though could be buried).

You can add a new profile and specify all the things you specify on the phone. Though you have to do so in EST. (the phone doesn't give this disclaimer but maybe thats part of the problem too?)

I added a new profile and set it as the one to use for my weekly schedule.

The departure time climate control settings I specified on the phone have worked fine so far. However delayed charging didn't work, it would start charging immediately (I had the min charge level set to 20% well below where the car is).

I'm hoping maybe adding this additional profile via the website will magically work and my car will start charging at off peak hours tonight ... Though I have a timer set on my phone if it doesn't.

Incidentally I wish it could turn the heated seats on too :)

---
Paul
White/Black 2015 e-Golf

The climate control engaged at my departure time, but the delayed charging didn't work, so the website has no effect on that. (I manually forced it to charge since it hadn't started by late)

Back