e-Golf SE Heater Range Penalty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f1geek

Anyone with real world info about range loss in the SF Bay Area “winter” when using cabin heating? For example, on a 30 to 40 F dark morning, without preheating the car, how much range does the GOM lose when setting the cabin temp to 72 F? Thanks.

This morning it was 50 in my area, with about an 80% charge it was estimating a loss of 12 miles. When its down around freezing I have seen up to a projected loss of 25 miles. The seat heater drops it from 1-2 miles. I typically run the defroster and drop the temp to Lo and fan speed to 1 as needed. That keeps the windows clear without chewing through the battery.

I opt for pre-heating especially if the car is still plugged in and making it as warm as possible. Then once inside the car I shut down the system and drive until I get chilly. At that point I go for the seat heater. Not sure if it actually uses less energy but it keeps warm in the low setting.

I am in southern CA so we are dealing in 40-68F range during winter.

Thanks for the answers! I happened to look at the resistance heater in my 2015 SEL and it is labelled "5kW". I'm pretty sure it's the same part in the SE. So, if you need heat in an SE and don't want as much energy penalty, it may be time to apply some pipe foam insulation on those heater lines to save energy.

f1geek said:
Thanks for the answers! I happened to look at the resistance heater in my 2015 SEL and it is labelled "5kW". I'm pretty sure it's the same part in the SE. So, if you need heat in an SE and don't want as much energy penalty, it may be time to apply some pipe foam insulation on those heater lines to save energy.

The 2015 SEL is supposed to have a heat pump, not a resistance heater. I think it gets heat off the coolant from the electric drive motor generating heat?

The SEL has a heat pump AND a resistance heater. Heat pumps don't work below a certain temperature (based on their design), so an auxiliary resistance heater is fitted in the car.

I also believe the heat pump only works in one direction at a time, so if you want heat and A/C (to reduce humidity, say when it's raining), then the heat pump provides the A/C and the resistance heater provides the heat.

f1geek said:
I also believe the heat pump only works in one direction at a time, so if you want heat and A/C (to reduce humidity, say when it's raining), then the heat pump provides the A/C and the resistance heater provides the heat.

I pulled down all I could find with a one day pass to erwin.vw.com. Despite a huge manual on the hvac system, I haven’t found a good this-is-how-it-works descriptionfor the heat pump. Lots about how to disassemble it though.

Anyway, the heat pump valve assembly has three expansion valves, and there are two condensers, one for cabin heat and one in the more traditional front of the engine bay for cabin cooling. There is so much plumbing in the heat pump models, it is really hard to follow in the mediocre service manual illustrations.

I've noticed a significant range loss on cold mornings, probably about 10 miles.

On a related note, the windshield heater works gangbusters. My windshield was covered solid in ice one morning, I turned on the windshield heater and it was 100% clear in about 10 seconds. I think the only way to turn it on is from the climate control menu on the touch screen.

Back