Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer wiring
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:43 pm 

Hey folks, after searching long and wide across the interwebs, couldn't find a definitive answer to my burning question. I will install a hitch to my 2017 eGolf and I am planning to tow small utility trailers occasionally. I am looking for a wiring solution and there are so many types of kits and converters, but none specifically designed to work with the eGolf. I am guessing it should be a standard one, but not sure which one. I am looking for a class 1 hitch so the wiring will end up with a standard 4 way flat connector for the trailer.
My questions are: do I need a powered kit (run wire to the battery) or a non-powered one? Also can I use a kit that splices in the current wires, or do I have to get one that comes with T harnesses?
Any suggestions/models/part numbers are much appreciated. I already know about Curt kits, but not sure which one to get.

I have to add that I am pretty handy with wiring these things, it's just that I don't know which one will work with the eGolf.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Trailer wiring
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:55 pm 

kataleen wrote:
Hey folks, after searching long and wide across the interwebs, couldn't find a definitive answer to my burning question. I will install a hitch to my 2017 eGolf and I am planning to tow small utility trailers occasionally. I am looking for a wiring solution and there are so many types of kits and converters, but none specifically designed to work with the eGolf. I am guessing it should be a standard one, but not sure which one. I am looking for a class 1 hitch so the wiring will end up with a standard 4 way flat connector for the trailer.
My questions are: do I need a powered kit (run wire to the battery) or a non-powered one? Also can I use a kit that splices in the current wires, or do I have to get one that comes with T harnesses?
Any suggestions/models/part numbers are much appreciated. I already know about Curt kits, but not sure which one to get.

I have to add that I am pretty handy with wiring these things, it's just that I don't know which one will work with the eGolf.

Thanks

I don't think VW recommends any towing with the e-Golf.... check your owners manual for recommendations. High stress and heat on battery and electric motor windings and brushes on the motor, if it has them. A hitch used for a bicycle rack is another matter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:27 pm 

JoulesThief wrote:
I don't think VW recommends any towing with the e-Golf.... check your owners manual for recommendations.

Funny thing, the owners manual. My Golf 2L TDI with DSG owners manual said in no uncertain terms that towing was a no-no, with warranty implications. I wandered over to the UK Volkswagen site to see what they said about towing, http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/towing, which refers to The Caravan Club Ltd.

So, have a look at the Tow Car of the Year awards:

2018 - Skoda 2L TDI with DSG

They seem to have hidden the previous years roundup, but as I recall Volkswagen brands with the 2L TDI and DSG drivetrain have featured prominently for a number of years, winning in certain classes, if not overall. Go figure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:39 pm 

Thanks seacycle. I kind of suspected that this is the case.
As much as I can understand that towing caravans and bigger thing is a questionable thing which requires the car to have certain qualities to be safe, towing a puny 4x7 foot open trailer won’t be even be noticed by the car. Heck, even I can pull fairly easy that trailer when loaded.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:04 am 

kataleen wrote:
Thanks seacycle. I kind of suspected that this is the case.
As much as I can understand that towing caravans and bigger thing is a questionable thing which requires the car to have certain qualities to be safe, towing a puny 4x7 foot open trailer won’t be even be noticed by the car. Heck, even I can pull fairly easy that trailer when loaded.

Then direct your question to Volkswagen of America and their legal team for a definitive answer.

You're dreaming if you think VW is going to design a robust gearbox for something they only see as an urban people mover. VW is all about the car barely making it through the warranty period. That the e-Golf is not covered under the 5 year 60000 mile power train warranty on all other VW's should be a clear sign to you what is up.

There is no comparison at all between a TDI and an e-Golf, and what their capabilities are, for towing. I tow with a TDI, but it's a Touareg, and VW designed it to tow, which is why it's offered with a tow hitch and has a towing spec, from the factory. I believe a towing spec for a VW electric car is a generation or two of cars away from us still.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:32 pm 

JoulesThief wrote:
You're dreaming if you think VW is going to design a robust gearbox for something they only see as an urban people mover. VW is all about the car barely making it through the warranty period. That the e-Golf is not covered under the 5 year 60000 mile power train warranty on all other VW's should be a clear sign to you what is up.

According to the "USA Warranty and Maintenance: All-electric models" book that came with my e-Golf, the powertrain warranty is 5 year 60000. Is that new relative to the pre-2017?

Various TDI + DSG combinations clearly have had towing in mind and independent evaluation of their towing capability. The reasons for disclaiming any such capability in the US market I'm sure has some reasons which may or may not be technical. Whether or not the e-Golf can tow, I doubt towing was anywhere near being on anything that could be construed as a list of design criteria, and absent any evidence that it can tow without adverse consequences, I would be reluctant to try. I'll let someone else donate their car in the name of science.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:32 pm 

seacycle wrote:
JoulesThief wrote:

According to the "USA Warranty and Maintenance: All-electric models" book that came with my e-Golf, the powertrain warranty is 5 year 60000. Is that new relative to the pre-2017?

Various TDI + DSG combinations clearly have had towing in mind and independent evaluation of their towing capability. The reasons for disclaiming any such capability in the US market I'm sure has some reasons which may or may not be technical. Whether or not the e-Golf can tow, I doubt towing was anywhere near being on anything that could be construed as a list of design criteria, and absent any evidence that it can tow without adverse consequences, I would be reluctant to try. I'll let someone else donate their car in the name of science.

Bottom of page, on link, for 2018 e-Golf. It's an exception. http://www.vw.com/warranty/ Vw had a disclaimer about towing with 2.0 TDI's with DSG transmissions. I've read of several folks that melted the CV joint bootie off their driveshaft and seized the now greaseless CV joints in the middle of nowhere in various mountain states, one for sure being on I-80 in WY.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:40 pm 

Any chance someone can give me some pointers on the wiring question? I do appreciate the discussion on towing with the Golf though. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:37 pm 

kataleen wrote:
Any chance someone can give me some pointers on the wiring question? I do appreciate the discussion on towing with the Golf though. :D

At erwin.vw.com, for $35, you can get a 24 hour pass to download all the service manuals you want, including wiring diagrams. I recommend searching by VIN to narrow the scope to your particular car.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:33 am 

Looking at the Curt website, I am wondering if I should go with a custom wiring solution which is also powered separately and has its own connectors, or a tail light converter that taps into the tail lights. For each one, there are multiple models and not very clear what is different between them.
I guess one question would be, are the eGolf tail lights PWM ST?

I think this may be the one that I need. https://www.curtmfg.com/part/59236
Thoughts?

Thanks.