Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Trailer wiring
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:26 pm 

I thought the short number of years and done thing was Japan?

That trailer looks pretty lite. Probably 1/2 the weight the OP was hauling with the e-Golf. For occasional short distances with a sane driver, probably perfectly okay.

My point was tow ratings on American (Ford specifically since they are my American truck of choice) full size pickups with a stick (what few there may be, are there any?) for the past 3 decades are vastly lower than exactly the same vehicle with a slushbox. The days of towing with a stick being a good idea are long gone. Then again, if the automatic is really a manual with electronic clutch as found in many VAG cars now that may be even worse than a stick.

Of course if you don't care about longevity (those that buy or lease and flip every 3-4 years) then it is a non-issue aside from putting abused cars into the used market pool for bottom feeders like me to buy (I tend to buy most of my cars with at least 100k miles on them for the past 25 or so years now).

1983 Audi Ur Quattro "the garage queen" looks pretty and appreciates daily

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:16 pm 

msvphoto wrote:
I thought the short number of years and done thing was Japan?

And that's a myth too. I've also been to Japan and seen a few older cars, including a few older American cars.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:23 pm 

Neither Germany nor Japan ban older cars, they just have onerous inspection programs that many people don't want to bother with. Cars that have value as a classic are worth the trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:13 pm 

miimura wrote:
Neither Germany nor Japan ban older cars, they just have onerous inspection programs that many people don't want to bother with. Cars that have value as a classic are worth the trouble.

Even then, Japan's "shaken" isn't as onerous as westerners are led to believe. https://jalopnik.com/my-first-japanese- ... 1631622802

The reality is that used cars are simply not popular with the Japanese, so their value plummets more steeply than the same car in the US, and when you throw in the costs of the inspection ($700 to over $2k according to the article) many Japanese feel it's worth it to simply get a new car. They look at cars the way we Americans look at non-Apple consumer electronics: disposable.

Germanys TÜV is pretty onerous too, but Germans don't look at cars as being nearly as disposable at the Japanese do. My guess is new car taxation may have a lot to do with that; in 2009, I visited a multi-brand VAG dealership in downtown Berlin, a stone's throw from Checkpoint Charlie, and noticed that a Golf on the showroom floor was priced at EUR 34k!!!! It wasn't a GTI or an R, just a regular Golf diesel, albeit in a higher trim level.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:44 pm 

kataleen wrote:
It was a bit off to me too hearing this type of question for the first time related to an EV. I didn't have time to research if it's brushless or not, so I just applied my general knowledge on electric motors.
It's good to know that there's one less thing to worry about

I've been thinking of adding a hitch to mine. Thank you for the pics and wiring harness info. I have to admit though that I'm also worried about the parking sensor going off.

Did you have trouble with it? Have other people with hitches and bike racks have the sensor go off?

I know in the spring after receiving my car, the drive into work was often crazy as the sensors would beep because of all the slush and spray build-up on the bumper(s). The last thing I need is the car e-braking on the highway because it suddenly senses the bike rack!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:17 am 

Just thought i would post an update here. Maybe it should be in a new thread but I didn't think it was warranted.

So in late August I installed the hitch myself and have since been shopping around for someone to hook up the wiring harness. No one seems to want to take the risk, so it looks like I'll have to do it myself. It's just that I suck at pulling flaky plastic snaps without breaking them.

This holiday I hooked up a panier to haul extra gear to the family cottage (no lights required). A 200km trip that with only a slight (but noticeable) decrease in range. I don't have hard range numbers for you due to it being difficult to differentiate between the extra weight and the cold temperature that day. I will say, though we've made it all the way in the past, we always stop halfway to do a 15-30min L3 top off (80-90%). With two adults, two teenagers with associated gear for a two week stay in below freezing temps, and only L1 available at the destination, it makes the L3 charging stop almost a must.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155669996287172&set=gm.1591410361005797&type=3&theater

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:47 pm 

kataleen wrote:
Thanks seacycle. I kind of suspected that this is the case.
As much as I can understand that towing caravans and bigger thing is a questionable thing which requires the car to have certain qualities to be safe, towing a puny 4x7 foot open trailer won’t be even be noticed by the car. Heck, even I can pull fairly easy that trailer when loaded.

I'm not sure why VW seems so anal about towing. The specs seem to differ widely from continent to continent even for the same vehicle. Is there any compelling technical reason an e-golf can't tow a light trailer - is there a big difference between towing say 800 lbs and carrying 800 lbs of passengers or cargo? I dunno, maybe the body construction differs between an e-Golf and an ICE Golf such that a trailer hitch cannot be properly attached? Maybe the battery compartment gets in the way? I doubt it would be a power train limitation. Maybe there is concern about how the battery may react to a rear-end collision.

I would try asking the more popular trailer hitch installers if they have a product recommendation for the e-Gold.