Car-Net Setup Process

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sokokyu

New owner of a '17 e-Golf in Northern California here. I was so excited about purchasing an e-Golf soon that I had already downloaded the Car-Net app on my iPhone, but once I got my car, it took me a while to figure out how to set it up. I wanted to share my experience since I hadn't read any others about initial setup.

I was not given a trial out of the dealership. I initially tried to set it up on the phone app, and called the help telephone number where they instructed me to hit the "i" button on the overhead to make a separate call. They said this was necessary to register the vehicle for the first time. So I did, and got stuck listening to hold music for a good 15-20 minutes before talking with a real person who tried to sell me a full 3-year subscription at just $499 (one-time charge). When I asked for other options, they said it's typically $199/year. Of course I got the whole shpiel on the benefits and features too, but I was already well aware of them.

I finally asked if there was any kind of a trial period to which they said if I "sign up" for a year. I would get 6 months to try it out and cancel if so desired, without getting charged. Supposed to get an email 30 days before the trial ends. Interestingly, she said my car was noted as a 2018 model even though I'm sure it's a 2017.

Now that I'm all set-up, I'm not sure the app is very useful. I tried to pre-cool my cabin as it was pretty warm yesterday, but the app kept spinning forever and eventually said it couldn't control the temp for me. I guess it's partially useful to check on battery charge levels, but other than that...

My experience with Car-Net was not great either, but for different reasons. I tried using the "i" button but was told I needed additional info that I did not have with me. I tried calling and was told that I had to register in the car. I finally got the info and again used the "i" button and got registered. No sales pitch whatsoever. It was strictly for the free trial. From that point on I was able to login using the website, but not using the Car-net app. Tried the "i" again and nothing they did worked. I was referred to the IT dept. They also claimed that everything was correct and referred me back to the "i" team. Called again and got a person who walked me through the app and got me going. Since I bought the car in Dec and this did not get resolved until February, I asked for an extension of the free trial. They put in the request but I never heard back.
I will say the app can be annoying with having to enter the pin number all the time and the occasional having to enter login, password and pin. Would I pay for this service, no, I think it should be free or very close to it. It would be great if it could work via the wifi of the built in cellphone.

Now to the climate control. I use it on chilly nights while the car is still plugged in. I set the temp to HI about 15 minutes before I leave work and when I get to the car it is toasty hot. I can then drive my nine miles home without running the heater.

If you are not plugged in you have to enable climate control while on battery. Not in the car write now but I believe it is START CAR>MENU>VEHICLE>SETTINGS>CLIMATE CONTROL USING BATTERY POWER.

If you are not too familiar with the controls check out this video

https://youtu.be/B7NpXhFHwlk

Yes, I'm familiar with the plugged/unplugged climate control settings, but even for plugged-in climate control, it doesn't seem to sync. Even getting an up to date battery reading takes several minutes.

One other quick I'm seeing: no matter my battery level, it always says "1 h 10 m until full" while charging...

Other than these little hiccups, loving the car. My third golf (first e-) !

My Car-net app takes about 15 secs to update in urban LA. It could take longer if cell signal is weak.
Interesting my app never shows the estimated charging time. I just get the estimated range. Would be great if it sent a notice when it was charged, like the Volt app does.
The car will give me an estimated time to full charge on the instrument display when I first plug it in.

SocaleGolf said:
My Car-net app takes about 15 secs to update in urban LA. It could take longer if cell signal is weak.
Interesting my app never shows the estimated charging time. I just get the estimated range. Would be great if it sent a notice when it was charged, like the Volt app does.
The car will give me an estimated time to full charge on the instrument display when I first plug it in.
di
With key fob in pocket, and door locked, touch the back of your hand against drivers side door. It will automatically display amount of charging time left, without interupting the charging process, in the dashboard. I usually note this at the time I plug in, look at the clock, and make a mental note about when it should be fully recharged, and time to move the car. The last 15 minutes add hardly any kW to top charging the battery, so if I am really pressed for time, I sometimes skip the last 15 minutes.

Although the details differ here and there, on balance it sounds just about like my car-net experience. In the US, Verizon is the carrier used for car-net, so if you happen to be in a Verizon dead zone, that could be a factor. Overall I’d say that it works for me more than 80% of the time, but there is always a lot of waiting involved.

sokokyu said:
I was not given a trial out of the dealership. I initially tried to set it up on the phone app, and called the help telephone number where they instructed me to hit the "i" button on the overhead to make a separate call. They said this was necessary to register the vehicle for the first time. So I did, and got stuck listening to hold music for a good 15-20 minutes before talking with a real person who tried to sell me a full 3-year subscription at just $499 (one-time charge). When I asked for other options, they said it's typically $199/year. Of course I got the whole shpiel on the benefits and features too, but I was already well aware of them.

I finally asked if there was any kind of a trial period to which they said if I "sign up" for a year. I would get 6 months to try it out and cancel if so desired, without getting charged. Supposed to get an email 30 days before the trial ends. Interestingly, she said my car was noted as a 2018 model even though I'm sure it's a 2017.

Now that I'm all set-up, I'm not sure the app is very useful. I tried to pre-cool my cabin as it was pretty warm yesterday, but the app kept spinning forever and eventually said it couldn't control the temp for me. I guess it's partially useful to check on battery charge levels, but other than that...

1) Which dealership did you purchase the vehicle from? They're supposed to set up a 6-month trial before you drive off, just like activating the free XM radio 3-month trial.
2) I didn't find the app very useful. Don't forget that when your 6-month trial ends, you're supposed to still have limited car-net functionality for another 2.5 years. Limited functionality = climate, honk, and car lock/unlock are disabled, but everything else still works.

Don't see the value in subscribing beyond trial, at least not at the prices they want, but wondering if others have found it worth the cost?

Just bought my e-Golf. From what I can tell, the initial carnet experience has not improved any. The dealership didn't touch the subject, which I found a little odd. I had to call once I got into my phone app (no account number until I called). After 25 minutes of high pressure sales, I finally got off the phone. I would think VW would like tp know just how quickly that experience killed the new car buzz. Hard to figure how corporate minds work: Pay a zillion in advertising and then do stupid things to offset the benefit.

duckybucky said:
Just bought my e-Golf. From what I can tell, the initial carnet experience has not improved any. The dealership didn't touch the subject, which I found a little odd. I had to call once I got into my phone app (no account number until I called). After 25 minutes of high pressure sales, I finally got off the phone. I would think VW would like tp know just how quickly that experience killed the new car buzz. Hard to figure how corporate minds work: Pay a zillion in advertising and then do stupid things to offset the benefit.

Corporate minds obviously see Car-Net as a post-sale profit center. They just got a big chunk of your money, and now they want more from you on an ongoing basis.

In my view a bad decision, but it is what it is.

duckybucky said:
After 25 minutes of high pressure sales, I finally got off the phone. I would think VW would like tp know just how quickly that experience killed the new car buzz. Hard to figure how corporate minds work: Pay a zillion in advertising and then do stupid things to offset the benefit.

Ditto here. He kept talking up the features and I was patiently listening thinking he was informing me of all the free features during the trial period. Then came the "how long are going to keep the car?" and then an offer from him for the entire ownership period. No thanks.

Anyone cut them off short and just say 'I want the free trial' and that's it and not give them a CC?

Back