Rubbing/squeaking/creaking sound - Solved!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voltron

Shortly after I got my new E-Golf, I started hearing creaking and rubbing sounds when I went over bumps at low speeds. A little googling revealed that lots of MK7 owners (as well as owners of other makes/models) are hearing the same noise.

Turns out the noise is coming from the door seals; specifically, the folded seal at the top of the frames with felt on one side. With the door closed, the two sides of the channel are pressed together and make ugly sounds if the rubber isn't clean and lubricated.

The solution is simple: Just get some silicone lubricant or rubber conditioner and swipe the inside of the channel. You might want to also clean the seals around the doors and the metal on the door frames.

The noise went away immediately and now my E Golf glides through the streets in limo-like silence!

IMG_3178.jpg

I've had that same problem on the left rear door, but I don't hear it while driving, only when I open that door itself.

It is good preventative maintenance to dress those seals with silicone 1x per year, every year, in the spring. Just saying, it's very protective of the rubber seals to do so.

Back