Battery Management

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNAPoPo

Is there active battery management on 2017 E-Golf?

I heard there is a heat pump for battery efficiency in the SEL models, but nothing more on battery management.

Any help would be appreciated as I am thinking about purchasing this car over the other brands, since the interior felt the best for my 40 mile a day commute.

The car offers 3 different driving modes that will extend battery range. You also have 3 recuperation modes for braking plus the famous B mode on the gear shift. Beyond that it is mostly how you drive and the type of terrain, hills vs flat. Heating and cooling are energy hogs so most people tend to minimize there use.

I too was impressed with the interior and the ability to actually push and turn real controls. The e-Golf is more of a stealth EV which I like.

There is active battery power consumption management on the e-Golf, if you abuse it or drive it too hard or too fast, it reduces current and power to the motor, to preserve the battery and prevent damage being incurred. There is a gauge needle in the dash to indicate when this is occurring. Read your owners manual to discover it.

There is PASSIVE cooling on the battery pack when recharging. There are protection parameters too for recharging that will slow the recharging rate down, if the battery pack temperature gets too warm.

This is only a consideration when using level 3 DC Fast charge CCS type stations capable of 55 KWH recharge rates or higher. VW recommends in the 2015 e-Golf USA manual to use CCS chargng stations, at the most, only every other recharge. There must be Equalization recharges using L1 or L2 chargiing that uses the EQ charging feature in the onboard charger pack, underneath the hood, between CCS fast charges, at least in North America.

VW strongly suggests charging at home in your garage on a L1 or L2 charger, for best battery life. At those rates, you'll never have problems with the recharging rate causing the battery to be unable to shed damaging heat created while recharging.

Back