Limit charging to 80 percent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmucs

Hello All,

I've been thinking of this, but does anyone know of any possible solution to automatically stop charging at 80%? Say I would plug in in the evening and in the morning I have 80 % loaded max. The point is to maintain battery health. (they say degradation can be decreased by not charging it fully).

2017 model, EU

Thanks,
Tamas

I don't know about the EU models, but on the US models it is possible to do so through the timer charge function, but the method differs by year. The 2015 models are done through the CarNet online service, on which you can set minimum charge levels (if battery is below your set threshold, charging starts immediately regardless of timer settings), maximum charge levels, maximum charging rate, and start/end times if you only want to charge during a certain time (such as to take advantage of off-peak pricing). The 2016 and later models have the same capability but can also do so through the car's infotainment screen.

This is video showing how to set up timer charging on a 2017 US-model eGolf: http://knowyourvw.com/?page=video&id=71&autoplay=5610 (note the link may not work outside of the US).

RonDawg said:
I don't know about the EU models, but on the US models it is possible to do so through the timer charge function, but the method differs by year. The 2015 models are done through the CarNet online service, on which you can set minimum charge levels (if battery is below your set threshold, charging starts immediately regardless of timer settings), maximum charge levels, maximum charging rate, and start/end times if you only want to charge during a certain time (such as to take advantage of off-peak pricing). The 2016 and later models have the same capability but can also do so through the car's infotainment screen.

This is video showing how to set up timer charging on a 2017 US-model eGolf: http://knowyourvw.com/?page=video&id=71&autoplay=5610 (note the link may not work outside of the US).

Thanks, that's just the info I needed.

Back