220 Charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svento

Picked up my e-golf a week ago. So far I have been charging via 110. Once I return to work I plan to charge mostly at a work charger. But, I'd like to know how much it would cost to install a 220 charger in my home. Has anyone done this yet? Is it actually any cheaper to go through VW?

I got mine through BOSCH, and it was about $1,800 (including parts & labor). Their price quote on the actual unit was high, for some reason, but they matched the price on Amazon for me.

Also, be sure to check for local incentives. In my case, the state of Maryland pays for half of the install + labor, upto $900.

It will be more expensive to go through VW. Instead, buy an EVSE online or through Home Depot, and hire an electrician you trust to do the install. Many good EVSEs can be had for less than $1000. Installation costs completely depend on the setup of your house. If you have spare capacity in a breaker panel that's in the garage, it could cost $200. If you need to run a new circuit to a detached garage, it could cost $10,000. To my knowledge, most people will end up spending less than $1000 for the installation.

I bought a Voltec unit for about $450, and installed it myself with about $150 worth of parts.

I bought the Clipper Creek for 590 from their web site and my electrician installed it for around 250. I already had 200 amp service. I got in by the 12/31 close so I qualify for Fed tax credit of 30% up to 1000

There were no install problems and it charged up without a hitch

Ron

Thanks everyone. I has a gut feeling that going through VW wasn't actually cheaper, and this seems to be solid confirmation! I wish I had done a little more research a few days ago so I could have qualified for the 30% fed credit!

When i first got my e-Golf i purchased the Bosch PowerMax on Amazon and installed it myself. All in the total cost was ~$600. After 3 charges the Bosch charger died and i returned it to Amazon for a full refund. Then i did some research and found that this is a common problem with the Bosch as it is just a rebranded Delta charger of poor quality.

I then ordered the Siemens Versicharge off Amazon and installed it in place of the Bosch. I couldn't be happier with the Siemens. Absolutely lovely charger and also the installation was much easier than the award Bosch.

I highly recommend the Siemens Versicharge for the e-Golf.

Does anyone know if the credit will be available for next years taxes? It should be a simple install for us as well, but won't turn down a rebate.

There's no way to know. It was allowed to expire at the end of 2013, but in the Dec 2014 budget enactment to fund the government, it was reinstated only through Dec 31 2014, retroactive to the beginning of 2014. Whether the same thing will happen next year is a guess, as one other tax credit was NOT reinstated for 2014

Ron

I just installed the Clipper Creek HCS-40: I was extremely pleased with how easy it was to set up.

Boy, what a difference from the speed produced by the 110V charger that came with the car!

I now need to figure out precisely how the CarNet delayed charging works, I know this is been dealt in another thread, I'm just commenting because I thought it would be unnecessary to invest in a charger with that feature when, in theory, it comes with the car.

Gio

I have a virtually brand new (used for 1 month) Bosch Power Xpress Stage 2 EVSE, 18ft cable. Perfectly good, has a small footprint, much smaller than other units. There is nothing wrong with it. It's a plug in design (not hardwired via conduit) so can be removed and taken with you, plugs into a 220V outlet you might have in the garage for an electric clothes dryer. Its NEMA 4X water tight so can be used indoors/outdoors. Retails through Bosch at $949, can be bought on ebay for about $770.
Please let me know if interested.

Back