sqeaking at low speed in "B" mode (regenerative)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egolfEr

My egolf has 30k miles on it now. I drive it very easily, and hardly use the brakes.

I recently noticed when I drive less than 10mph in "B" regenerative mode I hear something that sounds like brake squeaking. It happens 100% of the time if I turn at 10mph in B mode.

I was told brakes usually last like 200k miles on EVs, since they are rarely used.

Any idea what this issue could be, or how to better diagnose it?

thanks

Why don't you put the car in 'N' and step on the brakes a few times from 50 mph down to a complete stop, and see if it goes away.

JoulesThief said:
Why don't you put the car in 'N' and step on the brakes a few times from 50 mph down to a complete stop, and see if it goes away.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am trying to understand how this would fix the problem or help diagnose the root cause?

egolfEr said:
JoulesThief said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I am trying to understand how this would fix the problem or help diagnose the root cause?
Why don't you try it first. To me, it sounds like you don't have a problem, other than using "B" mode excessively. You need to use the regular brakes too, the pads on the rotors.

JoulesThief said:
egolfEr said:
JoulesThief said:

Why don't you try it first. To me, it sounds like you don't have a problem, other than using "B" mode excessively. You need to use the regular brakes too, the pads on the rotors.

Are you alluding to maybe a build up of brake dust or something? Putting it into Neutral and braking sounds unusual.

JoulesThief said:
Actually, I tried this on ours because it had a brake squeak that I thought could be addressed by a few hard brake applications. However, even in N, the car regens the same as in D. I did not expect that. I would have had to do a true full power braking stop to get the desired result. I just left it alone and returned the car at lease end without addressing the brake squeaking.

miimura said:
JoulesThief said:
Actually, I tried this on ours because it had a brake squeak that I thought could be addressed by a few hard brake applications. However, even in N, the car regens the same as in D. I did not expect that. I would have had to do a true full power braking stop to get the desired result. I just left it alone and returned the car at lease end without addressing the brake squeaking.

For what ever reason, my 2015 e-Golf SEL does not regenerate at all when the cruise control is off, and the car is shifted into neutral. Doing so, upon first application, either backing up or going forward, gets rid of the squeak, in mine. YMMV.

You may want to go to the dealer. I had a whine/whir noise in B mode when turning on my 2015 SEL. They ended up changing the gearbox fluid and it was quiet again. Strange since that fluid is supposed to last a long time...

I was wondering if the gearbox fluid might need changing as routine maintenance. Hmmm...

Regarding squeak and hard braking to clean pads and rotors, what about when on a totally full charge? Seems like regen doesn't happen on a full charge?

We get a little squeak (2015 w/~39k miles) at low speeds when brakes are cold, but nothing annoying enough to want to fix. (I have had way worse on various Audis over the years.)

Every FWD VW I've owned since 2002 tdi jetta has given me a 1 time back up squeak, first back up in the morning. Then it's gone, until some other morning I back up out of the driveway.

Back