temporarily disable passenger airbag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyfchu

I had open heart surgery 6/26/18 and they want me to either turn off the passenger side air bag or ride in the back seat for the next 4 weeks to protect the repair to my sternum. Since I am not wild about looking like I am in a lyft, I would like to temporarily disable the passenger airbag on our 2016 e-golf. The instructions online for the VW cars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFu3F8iVUqU

show a key driven switch in the glove compartment, but this isn't the case for our car. I haven't found anything in the manual. Does anyone know if it is possible?

They meaning doctors?
They would prefer that you get hurled headfirst through the windshield than having a seatbelt and airbag protect you?
It seems to me that the risk to be mitigated is the collision that might trigger your body to be smashing toward the dashboard. I would stay at home for a month if the risk of crashing and subsequent injuries is that severe.

Maybe the heart surgeon is married to a brain surgeon? And wants to prop up the family business?
:D

Back