on/off button while driving

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooslee

Hello all

Recently while driving, rather than squeezing the eco mode catch, I squeezed the on/off catch which is appropriate by it. I was on the slope, escaping the interstate, however, the auto basically close down. I could in any case mix and brake, however, couldn't play Judas on, as you have to press the brake, and you should be in P/N. I needed to get as an afterthought and finish stop before I could turn the "motor" back on. quite unnerving!

Driving Lessons Lichfield

Fascinating. I would have imagined it would be impossible to turn the car off at high speeds. I'm glad you were able to safely come to a stop!

Yes, many have commented in the past about the close proximity of the "On/Off" and "Mode" buttons. I basically gave up on using the various modes because (1) the car defaults to "Normal" at each startup, (2) I learned how to drive economically by controlling my right foot better, and (3) I wanted to have full power available at any time without having to floor it.

2016golfse said:
Yes, many have commented in the past about the close proximity of the "On/Off" and "Mode" buttons. I basically gave up on using the various modes because (1) the car defaults to "Normal" at each startup, (2) I learned how to drive economically by controlling my right foot better, and (3) I wanted to have full power available at any time without having to floor it.

All good reasons for avoiding that "gimmick" and adapting to your new to you car. If you do want to drive economically, the e-Golfs limited range will make you painfully aware of all the errors you can make that will drain your traction battery quite fast.

The other thing is that if you had read the owner's manual, it specifically states to not operate the "Mode" button while in motion, ever. Yours is a good example of why. Read your owner's manual, first.

I avoid the mode button and stick to using regen levels and B drive via the gear shift. Coming from a Mazda3 5spd, it feels natural. And it kind of fun to estimate when to drop into B when timing a stop. Moved the car to western NC where things are a bit slower and my low numbers are 4.6 with the average 6.6. Mostly rural driving with occasional freeway at 60 mph.
Avoid the mode button and the chance of shutting off the engine.
BTW have numerous free and paid chargers between Hendersonville area and Asheville so no range anxiety.

Back