Eco & Eco+ modes have different limits than manual describes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I just got a used 2015 e-Golf SEL. I noticed that Eco mode isn't limiting my speed at 70mph and Eco+ is only limiting it to 60mph. According to the manual, it should be 70mph and 55mph, respectively.

I was wondering if there's a reason for this. Is it programmable? Or is there a malfunction?

I read in another forum that it helps to switch modes while stopped. I tried that, and I also tried to make sure I'm not knocking the floor with the pedal to override the eco mode. The one time I went under 18mile range. It definitely limited my speed to 60mph while in Eco+ mode.

Anyway, is this normal? Please, let me know if you have any questions. Thanks a lot!

So much for believing the manual! :D Good job on reading the manual and finding it is wrong!

The manual recommends you change modes only while stopped for safety reasons - the mode will change regardless of whether you press the button while moving or stationary (there is no "help" while not moving). There is no adjustment available to the mode parameters. Maybe the VW engineer who programmed the car computer gave misinformation to the VW employee who wrote the manual - it's happened before. ;)

If you are concerned about driving too fast, just don't press the accelerator pedal so much, right? Or does that not work in your car? If so, better take it to the dealer for analysis. Best of luck!

lowenbehold said:
Hi, I just got a used 2015 e-Golf SEL. I noticed that Eco mode isn't limiting my speed at 70mph and Eco+ is only limiting it to 60mph. According to the manual, it should be 70mph and 55mph, respectively.

I was wondering if there's a reason for this. Is it programmable? Or is there a malfunction?

I read in another forum that it helps to switch modes while stopped. I tried that, and I also tried to make sure I'm not knocking the floor with the pedal to override the eco mode. The one time I went under 18mile range. It definitely limited my speed to 60mph while in Eco+ mode.

Anyway, is this normal? Please, let me know if you have any questions. Thanks a lot!
You can override both of those modes, if you floor it, all the way.

These modes are marketing gimmicks, as are all the various braking modes, for people with no self restraint. You can operate the car just as well as any of those modes, if you pay attention, as the operator. Use cruise control, apply the brakes well in advance, and have the patience of a Saint, by avoiding driving with a "herd" mindless mentality the masses of other drivers employ.

Repeat, all of these are marketing mode gimmicks. Don't fall into that trap.

I am certain that a geek with VCDS software could go in through long coding, and change the speed set parameters, with the OBD port, if they are good enough. Previous owner probably hacked it so that it wouldn't slow or impede his driving style when the end of the charge was near, and the battery was almost empty. These modes are also employed to slow down the rate of discharge of the battery, when it is low on charge, and internal resistance is higher, making the battery generate more heat while discharging. The battery also recharges at a much slower rate when fully discharged too, again due to resistance and heat being generated when the battery is so low on charge.

These are all really good reasons for why you shouldn't run your battery low, into the red zone, or before. When the instrument cluster flashes yellow saying you have only 18 miles left on a charge, there's your sign, to slow it down and get it on a recharger, pronto.

lowenbehold ,
First off... welcome to the forum and your first post.
Second, congrats on getting the SEL.

I too enjoyed the use of Eco Plus mode both in my 2015 & now 2018 E-Golf.
I liked that I could drop off the AC by selecting Eco+ and soften the accelerator.

I also like that the regen modes don't cause the friction brakes to throw away energy.
I regen down hills to keep within speed limits, rather that potentially losing energy to friction brakes should I over apply them.
When not rolling down hill I remain in the Rolly-Polly default mode and avoid brake pedal regen if at all possible.

Both the 2015 & 2018 are limited to 60MPH in Eco+, but as others have said you can floor it and bust past that limit.
I don't think you have anything to be worried about in your SEL regarding Eco+ and the actual limit differing from the Manual.
Sorry I don't use Eco very much, but I'd suspect the manual being at fault not the vehicle.

OH and thirdly, if you don't have the correct iPhone charger in the car, VW proprietary connector in the cubby under the radio, PM me, I've got you covered!

Barry

Thanks so much for the replies and support everyone!

If you are concerned about driving too fast, just don't press the accelerator pedal so much, right? Or does that not work in your car?
The accelerator works fine, I just figured it would be nice to have the limit in case I want to drive conservatively but am not paying as much attention to speed and start to drift in to higher speeds.

I was able to test the Eco mode properly and it limited my speed to 70mph. So it seems like both modes have been changed to limit at 5mph faster than the manual states.

I'm not really worried about it, as mentioned, it's more important to limit your own driving practices than to rely on the modes. Especially when you can floor it and override them, even in the red.

There is no adjustment available to the mode parameters.

Good to know! I don't really think it's a malfunction since it does limit the speed, just at a different set point. I thought a previous owner changed it, since the limits are still there, just 5mph higher. I probably wasn't gonna try to reprogram it, since I'm more lazy than I lack self control to drive conservatively.

Both the 2015 & 2018 are limited to 60MPH in Eco+,

Also, good to know! It must be untouched then.

I only wonder now, is the top speed in Normal mode also different? I believe the manual said Normal mode has a top speed of 85mph? Maybe my car's limit has been changed to 90 as well, following the pattern. I don't normally need to go that fast anyway, but it would be cool occasionally(when range isn't a factor).

Does anyone know if this limit can also be overridden putting the pedal to the floor? The speedometer does go to 100mph...

Thanks again! :D

A sub-100 MPH actual top speed is pretty typical for an EV that is not a Tesla. Besides using up charge at an alarming rate, such speeds also tend to heat up the motor and battery quite quickly. Even Tesla has limitations on "Ludicrous" mode (and makes you specifically select it, it's not on by default) for that reason.

As far as the 100 MPH limit on the speedometer...EVERY car that is freeway capable nowadays has a speedo indicated top limit that is well in excess of the car's actual top speed. The eGolf's is actually closer to reality; my Alltrack for instance has a 160 MPH speedo and there is no way you can achieve that on the autobahn. The last time a car's speedo stopped short of the car's real top speed was when the government was still mandating 85 MPH speedometers.

This is why it pays to never read the manual :lol:

Yep, Eco limits to 75 mph down from the 85 mph max and Eco+ is 60 mph. However, you can exceed that in Eco+ if you floor it (and have adequate power from the battery)

My i3 can do 100 mph max and I've gone upwards of 90 mph a few times. I haven't found a way to get exact efficiency numbers for a trip the way the e-Golf does, but I'm sure they were under 3.5 mi/kWh.

Back