Recuperation. Stage 3 and Eco+ limitations and pad effects

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhersh

hi
is there any limitation to drive in Recuperation. Stage 3 for long time or distance? would it save energy consumption? is there any bad effect behind that on battery, engine or any part of the car?
same thing for using Eco, Eco+ modes, does it have any bad effect on any part of the car while if keeping driving in this mode for long distance?

thanks.

I don't know what "Stage 3" you're referring to. Simply put, there is no harm in driving in D, D1, D2, D3, Normal, Eco, and Eco+ modes for long periods. The only harm you can do to the car is long and repeated quick charge/discharge of the battery and hot temperatures, which reduces its life.

While there is no harm in using any of the regenerative modes, keep in mind that coasting is more efficient than regen. The best hypermilers don't use regen unless they need to slow the car down. For that reason I only use regen modes (particularly "B") mode in stop and go traffic; on the freeway I use "D", only occasionally tapping the shifter to D1 or D2 to slow the car down due to traffic up ahead.

Where I live there is plenty of traffic, so I usually don’t have the luxury of coasting. Although coasting is the most efficient, I use mostly B or D1 and I manage 5.2 to 6.0 miles/kWh in my local driving and 4.5 to 5.0 mi/kWh on the highway. I always drive in Eco mode and usually turn off the HVAC unless really hot or cold.

Back