Recommendations for Cruise Control kits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P63

Hi, I'm the new kid here.

I just picked up a 2015 e-Golf limited. Bottom line: not having cruise control is one of the top First World problems. I know kits exist, but would appreciate recommendations and first-hand experience.

Any help is appreciated.

The range on this car is so short, you won't miss cruise control. It's a non issue. Or, next time, buy a car that has all the features you want, when you buy it used. Can't buy Microbrew beer when you have a PBR budget.

JoulesThief said:
The range on this car is so short, you won't miss cruise control. It's a non issue. Or, next time, buy a car that has all the features you want, when you buy it used. Can't buy Microbrew beer when you have a PBR budget.

You are clearly not able to answer my question.
Please delete your reply.

I think it's ok that you don't have the budget for a SEL and yet want cruise control. Good for you for staying within your budget and not splurging on an SEL if you don't need most the features it offers! I purchased an LE and it has everything I want except the LED headlamps, which I may save up for over the next few years and then swap in for the halogens.

You raise a good question. Since the e-Golf is an EV, I don't know if there is a throttle cable and, of course, there isn't a throttle. I'll have to have a peek under the hood. I wonder if the cruise control is simply an electronic signal to keep the current going to the motor constant. Sorry I can't be of more help. Best of luck!

I thought about this before. The fancy steering wheel has the cruise control buttons. If you got one off a wreck and installed it properly, it may just send the correct messages to the computers and it might just work. On the other hand, it may require some clever coding to get the car to turn on the cruise control functionality. I planned to return our leased LE all along, so I never seriously considering doing it. The manual also pictures a stalk with the cruise control buttons. If there is another Golf/Jetta model that came with those buttons, replacing the entire stalk assembly would be another path to a mod. Same advisory about coding would apply.

There are some helpful videos on adding a simple stalk plus supporting parts for cruise control, and another video on adding the upgraded steering wheel. I will investigate the JY route.

...so seriously, nobody on this board has tried any of the kits?

There's a detailed thread on replacing the steering wheel for the SE models, and users attempting to program/retrofit cruise control, on VWVortex.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8427978-DIY-Retrofit-Multi-Function-Steering-Wheel-to-e-Golf-SE/

However, I have yet to see a post showing actual success.

P63 said:
JoulesThief said:

The answer is, it's probably doable. The question is, who has the skills to do it, without breaking the clockspring for the airbags on the steering wheel, and the skills with VCDS software and cable, to go in and find out what the hexidecimal code is to do so.

For me, easier to go make the money, instead, and buy it with the features I want, since time is money. For you... maybe you have the time... but there aren't a lot of e-Golfs out there or predecessors, that will hand you the keys and know how on how to do so. But I am pretty sure it's in there, in the long code, probably somewhere in the body control module, unless the SEL and LE's in 2015 got different part numbers for the BCM.

You clearly don't know me, or what I know, or don't know, about VW's. Perhaps you should stick to Mustangs, and I'll stick to German cars.

JoulesThief said:
P63 said:
JoulesThief said:

The answer is, it's probably doable. The question is, who has the skills to do it, without breaking the clockspring for the airbags on the steering wheel, and the skills with VCDS software and cable, to go in and find out what the hexidecimal code is to do so.

For me, easier to go make the money, instead, and buy it with the features I want, since time is money. For you... maybe you have the time... but there aren't a lot of e-Golfs out there or predecessors, that will hand you the keys and know how on how to do so. But I am pretty sure it's in there, in the long code, probably somewhere in the body control module, unless the SEL and LE's in 2015 got different part numbers for the BCM.

You clearly don't know me, or what I know, or don't know, about VW's. Perhaps you should stick to Mustangs, and I'll stick to German cars.

Thank you for your suggestion. You have already established that you don't know the answer, so there's no need to repeat yourself.

JoulesThief said:

Thank you for your suggestion. You have already established that you don't know the answer, so there's no need to repeat yourself.

2016golfse said:
There's a detailed thread on replacing the steering wheel for the SE models, and users attempting to program/retrofit cruise control, on VWVortex.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8427978-DIY-Retrofit-Multi-Function-Steering-Wheel-to-e-Golf-SE/

However, I have yet to see a post showing actual success.

Thanks, that's really helpful.
I've also found a youtube video which lists part numbers. I think this will be my Winter project.

Back