2015 e-golf charging questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ecavalino

Newbie and working though some charging issues. I have a level 2 chargepoint system installed at home and has occasionally randomly cut out by saying “your vehicle is drawing very little power and maybe fully charged” .... and yet only charges to 88 miles BUT car-net says 100% but still shows 88 miles left? But yet the analogue shows full?
A) why is it not charging to 105+ like it has previous?
B) on car-net should I have setting to “max” charging current?

There is no issue. Your car charged to 100% SOC (state of charge). The range is a guess based on your driving habits: drive more slowly with all ancillaries off to get more range. If the battery is at 100% SOC, current draw stops and, this you get the very little current draw message. Analog gauge at full=100% SOC. Charge at whatever speed you desire. Max is ok, but you can set the current lower for circuit safety reasons or if you are worried about heating up the battery. Good luck!

Welcome to the GOM, the Guess-O-Meter. The car's guess at how far you might be able to drive depends on your driving history. As long as the analog battery gauge says full, you're full. Your driving style, speed, weather and terrain always determine how far the car will go on a full charge. If you want to see it do crazy things, drive up a mountain and recharge. Then drive down the mountain and charge again. You could see 100% SOC range guesses from 40 miles to 200 miles.

Tesla is the only EV maker I know of that displays "rated range" that uses a fixed driving efficiency number to indicate the battery state of charge in miles. Of course, you can also switch their cars to a percentage readout as well.

Ecavalino said:
Newbie and working though some charging issues. I have a level 2 chargepoint system installed at home and has occasionally randomly cut out by saying “your vehicle is drawing very little power and maybe fully charged” .... and yet only charges to 88 miles BUT car-net says 100% but still shows 88 miles left? But yet the analogue shows full?

The 2015 e-golf is rated at 83 miles. Where did the figure of 105 miles come from? Did you Range Estimate once read 105?

P63 said:
Ecavalino said:

The 2015 e-golf is rated at 83 miles. Where did the figure of 105 miles come from? Did you Range Estimate once read 105?

My Guess O Meter reads 115 to 113 miles all the time now, on a full charge. My Miles per kWh also reads 6.1 miles per kWh long term, for the past 3200 miles, also.

You drove the car a lot slower, and a lot nicer, with a lot less electrical items running off the battery, like the Air Conditioner, to get 105 miles of range on it, on a full charge. Turn everything off in your car, crack the 2 windows 1.5 to 2" down, and drive 40 to 45 MPH all the time, and the 105 miles figure will come back. Who knows, maybe even go above that, if you're a very skilled and conservative driver that can maintain your momentum, hit all the lights green, and not have stop signs to deal with.

Back