What does Neutral do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all. First time poster here. I'm registered at my local VW dealer in California for a 2018 e-Golf and the rep indicated he'll get some "buildable allocation" around December. I can't wait. He said I'm the #1 person out of 5 who have made reservation for an e-golf.

At any rate, I've watched every video on youtube about the car, and tried to read all the reviews. Nobody seems to identify this simple question and related questions...

What does Neutral do on the shifter/what is N's purpose? Is N mode for towing the car? What happens when you're in N and you hit the accelerator pedal? Does N provide even less energy consumption than using level 0 of regen while coasting? Is there a driving strategy that involves using N instead of regen on downward grades? Can you shift to N while in motion, and then shift down to B in one fluid motion? Is there a sudden "RPM" spike when going from N to D at highway speeds?

Sorry, just a curious guy over here that's never driven EV before, but can't wait to escape the fossil world.

Thanks for any info you can provide this curious almost-owner. =)

N and D provide identical coasting, but the difference is if you tap the brake pedal in D, you will get Regen brake blended with friction brake, if you hit the pedal in N, you only get friction brake.

If you stamp on the accelerator in N nothing happens. You can smoothly transition from N through D to B in one fluid motion without any issue, as the traction motor will not engage while coasting in D unless you request power with the accelerator.

The only time I use N is when I'm travelling at high speed and I want to intentionally use friction brakes to clean the surface of the pads, otherwise it doesn't serve much purpose in normal driving.

Hope that helps!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is not going to be a 2018 e-Golf. All the 2017s are gone, too. There may be a 2019, but VW USA isn't confirming it yet.

N is just like N on a fossil car - it puts the transmission in Neutral.

I can't remember what the manual says about this, but I'm guessing towing on the front wheels, even if the car is in Neutral, is probably not recommended.

Just as with a fossil car, placing the car into Neutral at high speed means you've decided to remove a critical means of controlling the car's speed. If you suddenly need a burst of speed to avoid a crash, and the transmission is in Neutral, you will be in deep ****.

Good luck!

That's alright, I don't have bubbles to burst! I'm a platonic solid! ;)

And yeah, I've heard from people who say there will not be any 2018s. My VW rep has assured me that our vehicles will be provided. I will certainly report back by December and confirm or refute your claim that no 2018 e-Golf will exist.

And yes, obviously there's risk with being in N. Being in a vehicle is risky, period. No need to be pedantic about driving techniques though. <3 It could be interesting to see how many people actually have "suddenly accelerated" as part of accident avoidance. Have you ever? I haven't in all the years I've been on the road. I think reflexes respond quite the opposite and initiate breaking to prevent a collision.

Also, I'd love to see a hypermiler's perspective. Some of them shut the car off at signal lights! Humanity can be very creative when it comes to saving fuel or power.

Thanks for your 2c.

Regarding:

1. 2018 models: if VW does release the 2018's to dealers, this will be the latest in the model year they've ever released a car. 2017's were released in August or September of last year and that was ridiculously late. Keep in mind the 2019's have been at dealers for some time. Oh BTW dealers do lie ;)

2. Accelerating away from a potential crash vs. braking: I've done so a few times.

3. Hypermiling: the reason some hypermilers use N is because maintaining momentum uses zero energy, vs. having to repeatedly accelerate due to the car slowing. However unlike an ICEV I find the eGolf's "D" position to have no slowing effect at all (power/regen gauge stays at zero), unless cruise control is engaged or the brake pedal is depressed. My commute to work has a considerable long downhill slope, and unless I use brakes or regen, after a couple of miles my car can creep up to 10 or more MPH above the limit after a couple of miles just from the effect of gravity. If I do shift out of D while driving, it's sideways in and out of D1/D2/D3 or back and forth in and out of B.

Sparklebeard said:
N and D provide identical coasting, but the difference is if you tap the brake pedal in D, you will get Regen brake blended with friction brake, if you hit the pedal in N, you only get friction brake.

I tried this out and I get identical regen behavior from the brake pedal with N and D. I have a US spec 2017 SEL. Maybe there is a behavior change with the 2017 model year?

seacycle said:
Sparklebeard said:

I tried this out and I get identical regen behavior from the brake pedal with N and D. I have a US spec 2017 SEL. Maybe there is a behavior change with the 2017 model year?
I experienced the same with our 2015 e-Golf. I had a weird squeal from the friction brakes and thought a good solid braking event coming down a downhill freeway offramp would help. Braking in N resulted in full regen. I didn't want to do a full panic stop, so I just left it alone. We returned the car a couple months later anyway.

That is really interesting. Is there anyone with a 2016 with a datapoint to add to this? I’m certain I’ve been able to brake in N and not see the needle move into regen. I’m out of state at the moment so I can’t even go drive my e-golf as a sanity check to make sure I haven’t imagined it this entire time...

I tried it on the way to work yesterday. I didn't hit the brake hard, just enough to take 5 MPH off my speed, but even in "N" the needle still went to the first large mark on the regen meter.

The manual specifically says not to coast in neutral. My impression was it has something to do with the motor and cooling.

Back