Stuck charging cable, brand new 2018 e-golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay, first ever use and my charge cable (juice box pro)got stuck. I unlocked car as per instructions but couldn't get cable out. Ended up googling the issue, it seems only 2015 models have this issue, and mine. I mashed the unlock on fob until it finally released, but that is not a smooth start. Anyone else have this issue on 2017/18 and any tips?

I'm really worried about getting stuck to a public charger now.

Tom2018egolf said:
Yay, first ever use and my charge cable (juice box pro)got stuck. I unlocked car as per instructions but couldn't get cable out. Ended up googling the issue, it seems only 2015 models have this issue, and mine. I mashed the unlock on fob until it finally released, but that is not a smooth start. Anyone else have this issue on 2017/18 and any tips?

It look like all Egolf some time got that problem, but seemly only by home L2 charger, not public charger.
By experiences, do not panic, lock the car , wait a minute, then unlock, it will release the charger. You may do it more than once.
:roll:

I use two chargers (home / work). The one at work is a Siemens and the plug goes in and out very smoothly (lock always releases). The one at home is a lesser brand, and usually gets stuck. I find that if I gently lift on the charger plug before unlocking the car, the charger lock will release. I then can wrestle the plug out of the socket. I have also developed the habit of lifting the plug slightly before the lock engages for charging. Don't know if that part actually helps.

Tom2018egolf said:

The learning curve is steep when the e-Golf is new to you.

I lock my car when the EVSE in in the charge port, and then I press the unlock on the keyfob twice in 1 second or less, while pressing the EVSE handle inwards, to release the pressure on the latch, usually caused by the sealing rubber o-ring on the inside of the EVSE circle where the electrical contacts are. That seal creates an outward pressure for the handle, which inhibits the latch from releasing, so press/nudge the EVSE handle inwards to the charge port to allow some slack and less tension on the latching device. The WEIGHT of a DCFC handle with it's heavy cable and handle, makes the attention to detail required even greater. Don't let the weight of the cable cause the handle to sag at a bad angle, making removal more difficult than it need be. Always press the handle inwards, into the port, while simultaneously pressing the keyfob button twice in 1 second. Practice it, until it becomes second nature. DON"T tug outwards on the EVSE handle while the latch is still locked, or when pressing the door unlock on the keyfob.

I unlock car by touching passenger door Handel
1/2 second after doors click I hear the charge port release
I remove juice box

If I wait 1.5 seconds longer car relocks charge port.

That’s why I have or use passenger door and not run from drivers side

Barry

My routine, which seems to work more than 90% of the time on our 2015, is unlock and open the driver's door keyless (key in my pocket). This seems to give me a fair bit of time (30 sec?) to go release the charge cable. On rare occasions the car starts to charge right away and then I need use the key and do a double unlock and/or fuss with it some to get it to stop charging and release the handle.

Yeah I too find that I have to open a door (not necessarily driver’s door) in addition to unlocking before the charge handle lock lets go. I usually open the right rear door as that’s the closest.

What’s weird is that my Clipper Creek LCS-25 almost never locks, but the OEM L1 (also a Clipper Creek design) as well as public charging stations will always lock. DCFC’s, or at least the ones from EVgo, really are the worst with “attachment issues.” They really don’t like to let go.

Wow, thanks for tips everyone! I was worried that I wouldn't get help. Happy to be wrong about that. I've had no trouble lately at home. It doesn't always lock at first insert, have to push juice box connector a bit. I'm using all the suggestions.

I will post separate question about EPC light next.

Love the car so far.

Back