Where to find software updates/how to update myself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kflip

Hi Everyone,

Brand new 2016 e-golf SE owner here (located in the US). I've seen multiple discussions on several message boards where people implied they were able to update the computer firmware/software on their own without taking the car to a dealer. Is that indeed something I can do on my own and if so, where can I find the update files to download? I'm not particularly interested in the map updates however. I'm guessing they would have to be downloaded to a usb stick or through my phone's wifi somehow?

I found the 'update software' option within the car's menu but when I select it, I get this error (with the car connected to my phone via bluetooth to wifi): https://imgur.com/a/suJgej5

I'm also wondering how outdated the software is and have attached a picture of the current software on the car via the above link.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Software updates can only be done at the dealer via a special SD card. The consensus on the forum is they only seem to update the software if it pertains to a safety recall.

My 2016 SE runs version 0613, which I'm pretty sure is what it came off the boat with. I've always intermittently gotten the "ParkPilot is currently not available" message when backing up which you'd think is a simple software glitch, but to fix it I'd have to replace the enter head unit ¯\(°_o)/¯

Thanks for that info. Wow, my software sounds really out of date.

The car was previously leased for two years. The carfax report shows only body/interior repair and tire checks at a dealer so that may explain why the software was never touched. Its been years since I've taken a car to a dealer. I might see if any of the local dealers would be willing to just update the software and what they would charge for that. Otherwise I guess I'll just wait until the next significant VW recommended service interval and see if they would do it then.

It is currently, and quite humorously, prompting me that the next scheduled oil change is rather soon. :D

Except for a recall that affected all 2015’s and early 2016‘s (car would shut off for no reason at all), and to fix the annoying reset to 72F every time the car was restarted, VW hasn’t done any software updates to my car ever since I got it 40 months ago. I even had the car “certified” when I bought out the lease (which got me the CPO warranty extension) and no software update.

If the dealer can disable the auto-72 degrees upon startup, thats good know. I do find that annoying. I've also experienced twice now where the clock has rolled back 4 hours on its own, even after me manually resetting it.

Back