my home charger and random chargers don't work...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gat89

Hi all, I have a 2016 e-golf that has worked perfectly for the last 2.5 years. Just recently the car stopped charging with my home charger. I thought it was my charger so I went to my local Charge Point and tried charging there. It was weird because one of the chargers did not work but the 2nd one did. It is very strange, anyone else have this problem?

gat89 said:
Hi all, I have a 2016 e-golf that has worked perfectly for the last 2.5 years. Just recently the car stopped charging with my home charger. I thought it was my charger so I went to my local Charge Point and tried charging there. It was weird because one of the chargers did not work but the 2nd one did. It is very strange, anyone else have this problem?

No, but public EVSE stations get abused. Don't count on, or rely on them, careless individuals usually wreck them pretty quickly and the maintenance expenses on them are quite high, for service calls to fix them.

Double check everything at home, with your home charger. What model is it? Try the 120V version as soon as you get home from work and plug it in overnight and see it that works too. I assume you have a 240V EVSE that charges at home in about 2 to 3 hours, if you have a Quick charger feature on your e-Golf.

It is possible that your on-board charger is starting to fail but is not completely dead. Check the charge port for any contamination or foreign matter. Do the same for the connector on your home charger. If you cannot reliably charge it, take it to the dealer for troubleshooting. They should be able to see if the car has logged any errors.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Really appreciate the thoughts:

Some quick follow up comments:

1) Yup I do have a 240V charger at home. My brother actually has the same car (we bought our e-golfs together from the same dealer) and when he plugs his car into my charger, it works.

2) It's strange but my 120V works fine all the time, no issues.

3) Also I know the problem is my car since the one public charger that didn't charge my car worked on my brother's e-golf

I took it to the dealer but it charged fine over there so they just shrugged their shoulders and told me there was nothing they could do =(

It sounds like you may have some sort of mechanical problem with your J1772 charging inlet in the car. It sounds like the car can occasionally charge on 240 V, but it depends on the station. Might it be the weight of the 240V cable is high enough to pull down just a bit more than the lightweight 120V cable and something in the car's inlet moves a tiny bit, preventing charging? You might try to put slight upward pressure on the 240V plug as you insert it (and hold it up a bit) to see if that enables charging. In any case, you probably wouldn't want to do this on a regular basis.

Did a dog or human trip on the charging cable during a charge session?

Back