Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: verdict: best practice charging % max for battery longev
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:52 am 

I have some evidence:

Yesterday I charged the 2017 e-Golf to 100% immediately prior to a long trip. I plugged in OBDEleven and while car was at "100%" according to the analog gauge (I pressed the immediate charge button and let the car charge until full), OBDEleven said 96% SoC. The pack voltage was 360.8 V, which works out to 360.8/88 = 4.10 V per cell.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:35 pm 

f1geek wrote:
I have some evidence:

Yesterday I charged the 2017 e-Golf to 100% immediately prior to a long trip. I plugged in OBDEleven and while car was at "100%" according to the analog gauge (I pressed the immediate charge button and let the car charge until full), OBDEleven said 96% SoC. The pack voltage was 360.8 V, which works out to 360.8/88 = 4.10 V per cell.

Awesome. Thanks! I've been wondering this for ages. So "90%" charging is comfortably in the mid-to-upper 80% range. Maybe not where you want it 24/7 but probably just right for timed charging.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:57 pm 

Is there a way to set 90% for the max charge WITHOUT programming a time-to-be-ready as well? If you select a charging regime which maxes at 90%, and then your CAR-NET subscription runs out, will it continue to use the last regime you set or charge as though none were set (i.e. charge to 100%)? If you DO have a regime set, will the 'immediate' charge button at the receptacle on the car ignore the regime?
Thanks-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:50 pm 

djk wrote:
Is there a way to set 90% for the max charge WITHOUT programming a time-to-be-ready as well? If you select a charging regime which maxes at 90%, and then your CAR-NET subscription runs out, will it continue to use the last regime you set or charge as though none were set (i.e. charge to 100%)? If you DO have a regime set, will the 'immediate' charge button at the receptacle on the car ignore the regime?
Thanks-

The only way is to have a timer set.

I do it by having a timer set to 90% at 3:30pm on Friday, with a minimum charge level set to 70%.

That means that any time I plug in at work it automatically charges to 70% and stops. On Friday afternoons it will then continue to 90% by 3:30pm. I could just set that timer to 70% also and the car would never charge above 70%, unless I hit the "Charge now" button, which always overrides the timer and charges immediately to 100%.

if you let Car-Net lapse, all your programmed timers will stay set forever and keep working the same way.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:51 pm 

djk wrote:
Is there a way to set 90% for the max charge WITHOUT programming a time-to-be-ready as well?

Yes. Set the "Minimum Charge Level" to 90%. It will always charge to 90% the moment you plug in.

Quote:
If you select a charging regime which maxes at 90%, and then your CAR-NET subscription runs out, will it continue to use the last regime you set or charge as though none were set (i.e. charge to 100%)?

Yes.

Quote:
If you DO have a regime set, will the 'immediate' charge button at the receptacle on the car ignore the regime?
Thanks-

Yes and no. My minimum charge level is at 80%. I find that if the car is less than 80%, even if I press the immediate charge button, the car will often stop at 80%. So I wait until it stops at 80% then go out to the car and hit the immediate charge button again. Fortunately to get to 100% takes only about an hour or so.