Plug in Errors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkilday

My eGolf thinks it is still plugged in. It gives me errors and blinks and beeps on the dashboard. If I push it about 10 feet and then restart it the car drives but keeps beeping errors. Sometimes the issue goes away for a few weeks then it returns again. It started after a power outage at my house. Two different VW service locations cannot figure out issue. Thanks for any feedback.

tkilday said:
My eGolf thinks it is still plugged in. It gives me errors and blinks and beeps on the dashboard. If I push it about 10 feet and then restart it the car drives but keeps beeping errors. Sometimes the issue goes away for a few weeks then it returns again. It started after a power outage at my house. Two different VW service locations cannot figure out issue. Thanks for any feedback.

This may be obvious to you (and many others) but one thing I've started doing that has helped immensely is taking a video of my car doing weird things. That way, when there is discussion about what I saw, it's available right there to the service advisor to see.

I can't tell you how many times I've brought in various vehicles over the years with intermittent problems, only to be dismissively told by the service department that they couldn't find anything wrong.

If you have this sort of evidence already, nice work. If not, capture some video of it, and elevate the problem to VW Customer Care until it's resolved. They are usually pretty helpful...

Good luck and keep us posted!

We are having the same issue with our 2015 eGolf. It just started a few months ago. But now almost every day when we unplug it to go somewhere we have to turn it on and off for 10 minutes before it doesn't think it is plugged in any longer.

Guess-o-meter suggestion.

Have you considered disconnecting the 12V (Positive side) battery for a few minutes? Then reconnecting it & starting the car?

I've had vehicles in the past where the on board computer "resets" to original factory specs when a full loss of power occurs.

I doubt it would cause harm, if it did VW would put in its owners manual "don't do this."

Kinda like on my yota ICE when the check engine light would come on, we'd pull the ECM fuse & the ECM would reset to original factory setting.

Verbruggan said:
Guess-o-meter suggestion.

Have you considered disconnecting the 12V (Positive side) battery for a few minutes? Then reconnecting it & starting the car?

I've had vehicles in the past where the on board computer "resets" to original factory specs when a full loss of power occurs.

I doubt it would cause harm, if it did VW would put in its owners manual "don't do this."

Kinda like on my yota ICE when the check engine light would come on, we'd pull the ECM fuse & the ECM would reset to original factory setting.

That is a good suggestion; was this tried? did it help at all ?

Thanks
D

Our 2015 eGolf had a similar issue just 6 days after it's delivery in pouring rain in the middle of the road :(
Our VW shop had the car in for more than 4 weeks, they finally claimed it was due to a plug in the high voltage charger not seated/mounted properly from production that caused this. Luckily never seen this issue since now 4 years later ;)

Interested in learning if any of you found a solution for the issue mentioned above. I see below maybe a solution, but wanted to see if it has worked for others:
"due to a plug in the high voltage charger not seated/mounted properly from production that caused this."
I have an e-golf 2016 that started doing above as well. Basically, it thinks it is plugged in and won't start. If I get it to start, then the moment it stops, it powers off and I need to start it up again, if possible.
Some other things I noticed:
  • The times it has been doing it, has been rainy/inclement weather
    After it dries out, the car starts again (though there are still times when it doesn't)
    Not sure if related, but a couple of months prior to this surfacing, I started having another problem and posted here:
https://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15780

Have an appointment at VW, but doubt they will be able to figure anything out. So far, they haven't been helpful. If I solve this, I will post back

Thank you

Hello to evreyone, I am from Bulgaria (Europe) and this is my first post in this forum.

I know, right that the topic is old, but I was randomly checking out the forum and just stumbled upon this and I want to share my experience with this issue.

I have 2016 VW E-Golf U.S Edition.

When it occurs to me, I just press this button next to the charging port once or maybe twice and almost, or maybe every time it works fine.

20230923-210138.jpg

Not my photo, just edited it form the web.

Back