Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need new tires...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:40 am 

2016 e-Golf has Bridgestone Ecopia which I don't like...seem to be intended to only drive on perfectly dry roads so not ideal for New England. I don't drive the e-Golf during bad winter weather, but would like something that's better in rain at least. Recommendations?

Post subject: Re: Need new tires...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:55 pm 

To be fair the car may be more to blame than the tires. The weight distribution for the e-Golf set back a bit more than it should be due to replacing an engine with batteries, which increases the chance of front tire spin on wet roads among other things.

That being said, I seem to remember a couple people here switching to Pirelli and reporting better handling and no spin. Unfortunately I can't remember the details beyond. The tire size is 205 55 R16 which is pretty common, so there's many options available.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:10 am 

megmci wrote:
2016 e-Golf has Bridgestone Ecopia which I don't like...seem to be intended to only drive on perfectly dry roads so not ideal for New England. I don't drive the e-Golf during bad winter weather, but would like something that's better in rain at least. Recommendations?

When my OEM Continentals wore out on my 2015, I went with the Micheline Energy Saver tire - they had a great deal on them at Costco. I've been very happy with them so far, much improved in every respect over the Contis.

I think the same deal is on at Costco right now that I got - $70 off a set of 4 and free install.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:06 pm 

Spektre wrote:
When my OEM Continentals wore out on my 2015, I went with the Micheline Energy Saver tire .

Just curious what mileage did the Continentals wear out? My 2016 SE is approaching 25,000 miles and the Ecopia 422s still look practically new.

Good to know on the Michelins. Yes just saw CostCo has a $70 Michelin promotion ending today. Big O Tires has it going until March 3rd but it seems they don't carry the Energy Savers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:33 am 

johnnylingo wrote:
Spektre wrote:
When my OEM Continentals wore out on my 2015, I went with the Micheline Energy Saver tire .

Just curious what mileage did the Continentals wear out? My 2016 SE is approaching 25,000 miles and the Ecopia 422s still look practically new.

Good to know on the Michelins. Yes just saw CostCo has a $70 Michelin promotion ending today. Big O Tires has it going until March 3rd but it seems they don't carry the Energy Savers.

I think I replaced them right around 43K miles. They probably had a bit more life in them at ~3-4/32s on the tire gauge, but I was really tired of the squealing and overall poor performance. The Michelins really are better in every respect - noise, handling, and I guess because they're newer they are maintaining pressure for longer than the Contis did.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:00 am 

johnnylingo wrote:
To be fair the car may be more to blame than the tires. The weight distribution for the e-Golf set back a bit more than it should be due to replacing an engine with batteries, which increases the chance of front tire spin on wet roads among other things.

I don’t know how the rest of you drive, but as far as rain is concerned, I’ve been happy with the OEM Ecopias. In the big storm a week or so ago the car performed just fine in the standing water. In today’s commute with misty but continuous rain, I found no issues with traction.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:55 am 

RonDawg wrote:
johnnylingo wrote:

I don’t know how the rest of you drive, but as far as rain is concerned, I’ve been happy with the OEM Ecopias. In the big storm a week or so ago the car performed just fine in the standing water. In today’s commute with misty but continuous rain, I found no issues with traction.

I've never had any problems with my Ecopia's either, in the rain, and there's been plenty of it here in So CA this year. They do just fine. I suspect the problem is with the loose nut behind the wheel thinking an e-Golf is a Lotus or a Porsche.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:09 pm 

There is a good reason to think the e-Golf is a Porsche, because VW is owned by Porsche Automobil SE.

https://www.porsche-se.com/en/company/h ... structure/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:58 pm 

f1geek wrote:
There is a good reason to think the e-Golf is a Porsche, because VW is owned by Porsche Automobil SE.

https://www.porsche-se.com/en/company/h ... structure/

I'm laughing... Volkswagen AG owns Porsche AG.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:11 am 

JoulesThief wrote:
RonDawg wrote:
johnnylingo wrote:

I've never had any problems with my Ecopia's either, in the rain, and there's been plenty of it here in So CA this year. They do just fine. I suspect the problem is with the loose nut behind the wheel thinking an e-Golf is a Lotus or a Porsche.

It was a simple question about tires. No need to be so rude.