Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problems with my new e-Golf
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:12 am 

I had my new e-Golf for just over 5 months with about 800 miles on the clock before I handed it to VW for investigation. There are two main problems: a) range - fast charge displays about average 75 miles and slow charge displays just over 100 miles, b) continually getting an S0S error together with a voice message telling me not to drive any further and to take the car to a VW workshop. VW already tried to fix the issue after a few weeks, but that did not fix it.

I purchased the car on the basis that regular that range was about 130 'ish if driven in eco+ mode etc.. My car has been with VW for over 4 weeks and they still have not fixed the issue due to not lack or trained staff. VW testing has confirmed my diagnosis.

I am in dialogue with VW to reject the car as it does not meet the criteria/reason for buying it in the first place and it (in my opinion) has a technical problem which may be difficult to fix/overcome/impact future sale value.

Would to like to hear any feedback on this issue. Is this common? Anyone else had range issues or SOS alerts?

Post subject: Re: Problems with my new e-Golf
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:22 am 

kobi92 wrote:
I had my new e-Golf for just over 5 months with about 800 miles on the clock before I handed it to VW for investigation. There are two main problems: a) range - fast charge displays about average 75 miles and slow charge displays just over 100 miles, b) continually getting an S0S error together with a voice message telling me not to drive any further and to take the car to a VW workshop. VW already tried to fix the issue after a few weeks, but that did not fix it.

I purchased the car on the basis that regular that range was about 130 'ish if driven in eco+ mode etc.. My car has been with VW for over 4 weeks and they still have not fixed the issue due to not lack or trained staff. VW testing has confirmed my diagnosis.

I am in dialogue with VW to reject the car as it does not meet the criteria/reason for buying it in the first place and it (in my opinion) has a technical problem which may be difficult to fix/overcome/impact future sale value.

Would to like to hear any feedback on this issue. Is this common? Anyone else had range issues or SOS alerts?

When you say fast charge shows 75 miles and slow charge shows 100, do you mean when fully charged via each method that’s what the indicator on the dash says when fully charged? It sounds like somehow you’re being limited to about the same amount of battery capacity as the 2015/2016 model

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:53 am 

Not sure where you live, but you might want to look into your local Lemon Laws and then perhaps contact an attorney that specializes in Lemon Law litigation. A brand new car should not be behaving this way.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:10 am 

Yes, I should have been clearer. When fully charged, the dashboard reads about 75 miles via fast charging and 100+ miles via slow charging.

When I drive the car away from the showroom at the end of September the range displayed was 134 miles. Every charge since then seems to generate a lower range. Once on a fast charge, I removed the charging cable at 80% and the range was on only 46 miles.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:37 am 

kobi92 wrote:
Yes, I should have been clearer. When fully charged, the dashboard reads about 75 miles via fast charging and 100+ miles via slow charging.

When I drive the car away from the showroom at the end of September the range displayed was 134 miles. Every charge since then seems to generate a lower range. Once on a fast charge, I removed the charging cable at 80% and the range was on only 46 miles.

Jumping in before JoulesThief says the same thing. :D

The Guess-O-Meter is exactly that...just a guess of your range based on your driving history. But yes those numbers seem low.

Two questions:
- How many mi/kWh does the car say you are getting? For comparison, I averaged 4.5 to 4.8 in my everyday driving over 3 years.
- What temperature is it where you live right now? Extreme temperatures can limit the efficiency.

EDIT: I didn't mean to ignore the SOS error, which sounds annoying and possibly serious. I just wanted to clarify whether the range issue was related.

Last edited by cctop on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:45 am 

Whether or not the car does what you expected when you bought it is irrelevant. What is relevant is whether the car is working as designed and whether they can repair it properly to get it back to factory spec.

Keep track of all your service visits and pay particular attention to your state's lemon laws.

I don't mean to be insensitive to your bad experience, but as stated above, the range display is not an indication of improper charging or degraded capacity. It is merely the car's estimation of how far you might be able to drive if you continue with driving with the recent efficiency. Driving at high speeds (over 55mph) in cold weather with the heat blasting you will definitely not be able to drive the EPA rated distance.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:38 am 

The temperature has been mild this winter in southern England and most if not all driving has been done in urban areas at approx 30 mph using eco + mode.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:07 pm 

Since you are in the UK, I was able to find this link that may be helpful to you. Best wishes on getting your car's issues resolved.

https://www.justanswer.com/uk-law/1tn99-hello-consumer-s-uk-equivalent.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:40 pm 

What does the fuel gauge say, the one with a red needle on it? Then what does the infotainment center say for miles per kWh, or kWh per 100 km? How about you log some data yourself, on paper, with a pen, between recharges.

Stop driving the car in Eco+ mode, and drive it in regular mode, and control the acceleration and deceleration rates yourself, lighten up your foot on the throttle, so as to achieve that same power consumption rates as if it was in Eco+ mode, which is a gimmick, in the first place.

Also check in the owners manual and see if you are reaching a set charging limit, a max % of battery charged somehow, with a setting in the infotainment center.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:36 pm 

No actual help to you but as a comparison: I’ve had my e-Golf for a little over a fortnight (and also have 800 miles on the clock). I’m also in southern England and have a commute that’s partly urban and partly motorway. I’m mainly driving on the B setting but usually normal mode (sometimes Eco, never Eco+). I’m pretty mean with the heater (big jumpers have seen me through last week's chilly starts). So far, I’m averaging about 4.8m/kWh and have somewhere around 135-150 showing after a full charge.

I feel like I still have loads to learn about EVs so I’m likely to be wrong about just about everything but it sounds to me like there’s either a setting limiting your car to a 40% charge or something or there’s a problem somewhere. The SOS messages would suggest the latter.

Mostly, good luck! I hope VW figure things out speedily and get things working as they should.