Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Battery range or charging issues when outside temp is 100F+
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:58 pm 

I'm considering buying a 2019 e-Golf. The dealers in CA are offering some very good discounts and because of that, I'm willing to accept the 125 mile range. However, the "passive" battery cooling has me concerned.

I own a 2016 Ford Fusion Energy (Plug In Hybrid) and the car is wonderful in most aspects (such as heat pump cabin heating and cooling), except Ford did a REALLY bad job on the forced air cooling of the battery. The hot battery cooling air is expelled inside the trunk, which is where the battery lives. So, the battery gets "cooked" by the hot cooling air.

Out here in Sacramento, CA we can get daytime outside temperatures of 100F+ for a week or more at a time. When this happens my Fusion won't run in battery only mode. I've taken it to the dealer multiple times for this and Ford Corporate says the car is "operating as it properly". Said another way; it is a crappy design.

Has anyone been operating an e-Golf during outside temperatures of 100F+? If so, have you noticed any range degradation due to the heat? If so, how much range degradation?

Also, have you noticed any problems with charging the e-Golf when outside temperatures are 100F+, such as increased charging time due to excessive battery heating causing charging current throttling?

Any experience you can provide concerning this s greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Battery range or charging issues when outside temp is 10
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:11 pm 

The battery back in the Fusion is much smaller, so it will heat up faster through charging. I haven't operated my e-Golf in those temperatures (I drove it to Sacramento last fall but the temperatures weren't in the 100s).

From what I've heard from people in Arizona, you probably won't experience any problems with Level 2 charging, though Level 3 charging may be slower and inadvisable in that heat. Its possible that the battery will degrade faster than it would in the Bay Area for example, but even the e-Golves in Arizona seem to be doing well overall, especially compared to the terrible degradation of the LEAF. The warranty on the battery isn't voided if you live in Sacramento temperatures so you will probably be fine. Being mindful of trying to only charge to 80% unless necessary may be able to balance out stress on the battery from heat degradation.

Unless you're commuting 110 miles a day on the freeway and running the battery as hard and fast as possible, you'll probably be ok.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:50 pm 

SoCal can get pretty warm too but I haven't noticed any issues, and compared to the Leaf I used to have, heat-related battery degradation has been less. After almost 4 years I can still get 80 miles per charge on my 2015, something I struggled with on the Leaf after 2.

In high temps I would advise against rapid charging though, but L2 should be OK.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:51 am 

RonDawg and Sparklebeard; Thank You for the replies!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:33 am 

I live in Metro Phoenix and we just started hitting 100+ (108 yesterday). I have seen no problems so far with my range, charging, performance or anything else. Granted, I park in a garage at home and at work, so it doesn't sit in the sun at all. But the heat from the pavement is pretty extreme. However, no problems yet. As this is my first Summer with the e-Golf, I'll keep an eye on it and see.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:27 pm 

charge over concrete pads if you can, during hot summer days, or get there early enough when you start charging, that the sun hasn't been beating down on the pavement when you start charging. Or charge in shade, if at all possible, on warm to hot days.

I've not had charging problems at all with level 2 in my 2015 e-Golf SEL. I have been seeing 113 to 119 miles of range on a full charge. 22.5k miles, not really much degradation of battery, and I live in the San Fernando Valley.

The worst thing for your battery is to have a 20% or less state of charge and let the battery sit in the heat. Try to at least get it to 50 to 60% ASAP.