Forward collision or proximity warning false alarm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had this happen three times now, twice on the same stretch of road. Yesterday the forward collision warning came up on the dash while I was the only car on the road. Other times it has been the side sensor detecting something. It just flashed up for a second, then went away. Is this pretty common, or something I should have looked at?

Check out this post, might be the problem?
http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1274

Never had a false forward collision alert like that with nothing in front of me but I have very infrequently had phantom side parking sensor activations when some vehicles drive past me in the next lane. I just assume their parking sensors are freaking mine out but that's not a particularly scientific view.

I was experiencing the same alarms recently while driving country roads in the UK. Always the same stretch of road while proceeding in the same direction. This section of road is a very gentle S bend and a new fence had been erected close alongside consisting of vertical galvanised angle iron stakes with new galvanised stock fencing supported by the stakes. The emergency brake symbol always came up and if in assisted driving mode the car barked heavily with all the associated risks of being rammed from behind. I contacted VW (UK) who quickly acknowledged my report but did not see it as a problem, the sensor is detecting the stakes as a moving vehicle or obstruction. I followed it up with them and the reply was that they did still not see it as being an issue. Approximately a week later the alarms stopped. Whether this is because my software has been accessed and changed or other reasons I am none the wiser. Needless to say I only now use adaptive cruise control on dual carriageways or major roads now where the verges are wider and cleared, country lanes and similar are not worth the associated risks and dangers. Hope this helps you understand your own alarms and the possible causes. You are not alone on this one.

Back