Volkswagen e-Golf Forum
http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/

Standard EVSE cordset: 240 capable?
http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1964
Page 1 of 1

Author:  furiouschads [ Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:55 am ]
Post subject:  Standard EVSE cordset: 240 capable?

The cordset that came standard with my USA market Chevy Volt is built to accept 240v. The internals are made by Clipper Creek. They were built to support both 120 and 240 markets. Many people have built converter plugs to supply 110v/120v on both legs, using a dryer or welding circuit. This works fine.

Does this hidden 240 capability exist in the standard set supplied with new e-Golfs?

Author:  miimura [ Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Standard EVSE cordset: 240 capable?

furiouschads wrote:
The cordset that came standard with my USA market Chevy Volt is built to accept 240v. The internals are made by Clipper Creek. They were built to support both 120 and 240 markets. Many people have built converter plugs to supply 110v/120v on both legs, using a dryer or welding circuit. This works fine.

Does this hidden 240 capability exist in the standard set supplied with new e-Golfs?

VW changed from a Clipper Creek design assembled by Delphi to a TE unit made in eastern Europe. The Clipper Creek design allows 12 amps but the TE one only allows 10 amps. I think the change happened around the 2017 or 2018 model year. I would not count on either one being 240V compatible.

If you really need a portable voltage and outlet agile EVSE, I recommend the Jesla Jr. It is a modified Gen 2 Tesla Mobile Connector with J1772 plug. It comes with NEMA 5-15 and NEMA 14-50 plug pigtails.
https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA ... ESLAJR.htm

I have the 1st generation Jesla and charged our 2015 e-Golf with it almost every day for 2.5 years.

Author:  furiouschads [ Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Standard EVSE cordset: 240 capable?

if the TE is used in Europe, won't it have to support 240?

Author:  miimura [ Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Standard EVSE cordset: 240 capable?

furiouschads wrote:
if the TE is used in Europe, won't it have to support 240?

Just because it's made in Europe doesn't mean that it works in Europe. In fact, I don't have any solid information about the specs of that unit because my car came with the Clipper Creek / Delphi unit. However, I'm pretty sure that the Clipper Creek design needs some modification to work on 240 and probably different modification for it to be universal 100-250V.

Author:  RonDawg [ Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Standard EVSE cordset: 240 capable?

furiouschads wrote:
The cordset that came standard with my USA market Chevy Volt is built to accept 240v. The internals are made by Clipper Creek. They were built to support both 120 and 240 markets. Many people have built converter plugs to supply 110v/120v on both legs, using a dryer or welding circuit. This works fine.


Are you sure about that? Clipper Creek makes no dual-voltage EVSE's. The only OEM ones that I am aware of are ones from Tesla, and the 2018+ Nissan Leaf (which is now optional for lower trim levels). A company called EVSE Upgrade does convert the 120 volt OEM EVSE to dual voltage for certain cars: http://evseupgrade.com/

Unless there is a specific change made for the 2019 model year, the EVSE that comes with the Volt is NOT dual voltage and needs to be converted to such: http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=produ ... ucts_id=31

Author:  furiouschads [ Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Standard EVSE cordset: 240 capable?

This post covers the topic.

https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?218442-2016-Volt-120v-EVSE-is-L1-L2-Conversion-Capable

The post also has links to pictures of the Clipper Creek circuit board inside the Volt EVSE box. The white wire can take hot in addition to the hot already coming in via the black. I made a converter cord for this and it has worked for more than 3 years. The Bolt is using the same cordset. Think about it, GM etc are buying their parts from third-parties and putting them inside a Delphi box. Why would they switch, why would they have more than two versions if they can avoid it?

Author:  f1geek [ Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Standard EVSE cordset: 240 capable?

Here is more information about the TE Connectivity EVSE included with my 2017 e-Golf:

https://www.te.com/global-en/products/c ... =pgp-story


I have not cracked open my EVSE so I don't have any internal pictures to post. The specs on the website say 30 amps, 600 V, suggesting the intervals can take 240 V. And the cut sheet says L1 / L2. I rarely use the portable EVSE, and when I do, I don't have a 240 V circuit available, so I have no intention of rewiring the EVSE.

Author:  johnnylingo [ Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Standard EVSE cordset: 240 capable?

miimura wrote:
The Clipper Creek design allows 12 amps but the TE one only allows 10 amps. I think the change happened around the 2017 or 2018 model year. I would not count on either one being 240V compatible.


Funny, I got a "Delphi" branded 120V/10A one with my 2018 i3. It's made in Hungary. Really disappointing to get a measly 10a charger on a $60,000 car, but BMW's goal is upsell you to their $500 BMW-branded TurboCord anyway ... which only does 12a at 120V and has now been recalled for safety reasons :lol:

I'd still look in to a regular TurboCord though if you have access to a 240V 6-20 plug. $200 is pretty reasonable for a 16a/240V EVSE and the 12/120 option can be thought of as a bonus

$200 TurboCord on Amazon

Author:  furiouschads [ Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Standard EVSE cordset: 240 capable?

f1geek wrote:
Here is more information about the TE Connectivity EVSE included with my 2017 e-Golf:

https://www.te.com/global-en/products/c ... =pgp-story


I have not cracked open my EVSE so I don't have any internal pictures to post. The specs on the website say 30 amps, 600 V, suggesting the intervals can take 240 V. And the cut sheet says L1 / L2. I rarely use the portable EVSE, and when I do, I don't have a 240 V circuit available, so I have no intention of rewiring the EVSE.


Thank you for that link.

The Volt EVSE hack does not require rewiring the EVSE.

You create or buy a converter cord. For example, start with an oven cord from Home Depot. At one end of this converter cord you add a heavy duty 3 hole 120v socket. Black hot goes to the left hole. White hot goes to the right hole. Ground goes to the center hole. Cover the red wire from the oven cord with electrician's tape. Plug your unmodified EVSE into that socket. At the other end is a 240v oven plug. That goes into your 240v outlet. Dryer or welder cords work just as well.

Label the converter cord as needed in your household.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/