2019 issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjh11

I am in the process of purchasing a 2019 Egolf Se with DAP from Bay area. We plan on sending it to our home in Las Vegas and want to get opinions from those in the know.

Since we won't be able to have warrantee work for the EV portion here in vegas due to lack of trained techs:

1. Has anyone had any EV related issues with there 2019 SE that they can share.

2. Has anyone heard of battery issues from high heat locations. ( vegas varies in summer daytime temps from 95 - 110).

This car will be used as a daily commuter for under 100 miles daily and charged in the evening when temps are typically around 80-90 degrees. I will install a level 2 charger but will start off with factory 110 plug in until i can find the best charger and a qualified electrician to install.

Unfortunately the E-golf isn't sold here but i'm assuming since it is sold and warrantied in California, places like Palm Springs, Barstow and the sort that have similar high heat weather as Vegas, this vehicle should perform per VW specs.

I will take any and all advise, since I will be purchasing on Tuesday for shipment on Friday.

PS, I followed some posts on costs, and I am paying $22,750 out the door price plus shipping before Fed $7500 rebate (sales tax to be paid in Nevada). Is that about right or can I still push for a better deal?

Peter

$22,750 is a really good price. I don't think further negotiation is necessary.

No issues with our 2019 SE so far. But we've only had it for a month or so.

We ended up buying the Clippercreek HCS-40P for our level 2 charging. Mainly because we didn't need any of the bells and whistles offered by other chargers, and they're supposed to be rock solid reliable. We also already had a 40amp circuit in the garage, so at 32 amps, it was a perfect match.

Try and start your charging later at night, after midnight when it's cooler, if at all possible, during the warmer months.

RayR said:
$22,750 is a really good price. I don't think further negotiation is necessary.

No issues with our 2019 SE so far. But we've only had it for a month or so.

We ended up buying the Clippercreek HCS-40P for our level 2 charging. Mainly because we didn't need any of the bells and whistles offered by other chargers, and they're supposed to be rock solid reliable. We also already had a 40amp circuit in the garage, so at 32 amps, it was a perfect match.
Been using the juicebox pro 40...thinking about selling it and getting a clipper creek. The juicebox has a lot of bells and whistles, but we are missing the thinner cables on the clipper creek. I don't mind the 40 to 32 amp downgrade, for the convenience of the thinner cables.

egolfEr said:
I don't mind the 40 to 32 amp downgrade, for the convenience of the thinner cables.

Are the JuiceBox cables that hard to wrangle? Trying to figure out how cable thickness would make much of a difference.

My understanding is the level 2 charger on the e-Golf is limited to 30amps. So a Juicebox or Clippercreek or XXX 32 or 40 or 50 amp station will all take the same amount of time to charge the car.

We have a Clipper Creek HCS-40 and it has been rock solid reliable. The car (a 2015) needed a module changed out to be happy with it, but that was a VW warranty thing and not on Clipper Creek.

djsd said:
egolfEr said:
I don't mind the 40 to 32 amp downgrade, for the convenience of the thinner cables.

Are the JuiceBox cables that hard to wrangle? Trying to figure out how cable thickness would make much of a difference.

yes,...I regret getting the JB, It does give you future proofing and a lot of mobile functionality. The python cables are a bit cumbersome.

We bought a 2019 e-Golf SE back in late May and have 2K miles on it and we just love it! We have driven it during several 100F+ days here in the Sacramento area with the AC on, and occasionally going up hills on the freeway at 65MPH with no degradation in power. If you are light on the accelerator you can get 140 miles of range per charge!

I have two complaints about the car;
1) I still haven't been able to get either the "departure time" or the "off peak" modes to work. It would be good to have these modes to work to charge at night when it is cooler.
2) To get Android Auto to work you must have the radio on, but then the turn by turn driving instructions are at the same volume as the radio,. IE; the radio doesn't mute when the Google Maps turn by turn instructions are being voiced!!

We have a Clipper Creek HCS-40 charger and the charger cable gets pretty warm when the car is set to charge at the full 7.2kW (30 Amps) rate. So, maybe the heavier cables the Juice Box has are a good idea? ...Lighter weight cables means wasted power in heating the cable and a potential fire hazard!

How did you get a price of $22,750.00 "out the door" (meaning including tax and license fees)? I paid $26K for ours (not including tax and licence) and that price was $7K off the MSRP price of $33K! On the flip side I will get $11.8K of tax credits and rebates, so I shouldn't complain.

I’ve never heard of anyone manage to get the ‘off peak’ function to work with the departure timer. If you figure it out please let us know!

If it were me i would just disable the ‘off peak’ function and just use a charge timer set for the morning.

If you tell it you want it fully charged by 7am it’s never going to start charging before 12am typically :)

Edit: well it will immediately charge to the ‘minimum charge level’ you set, and then wait until it needs to start charging to meet the timer

kjhansen said:
We bought a 2019 e-Golf SE back in late May and have 2K miles on it and we just love it! We have driven it during several 100F+ days here in the Sacramento area with the AC on, and occasionally going up hills on the freeway at 65MPH with no degradation in power. If you are light on the accelerator you can get 140 miles of range per charge!

1) I still haven't been able to get either the "departure time" or the "off peak" modes to work. It would be good to have these modes to work to charge at night when it is cooler.
2) To get Android Auto to work you must have the radio on, but then the turn by turn driving instructions are at the same volume as the radio,. IE; the radio doesn't mute when the Google Maps turn by turn instructions are being voiced!!

We have a Clipper Creek HCS-40 charger and the charger cable gets pretty warm when the car is set to charge at the full 7.2kW (30 Amps) rate. So, maybe the heavier cables the Juice Box has are a good idea? ...Lighter weight cables means wasted power in heating the cable and a potential fire hazard!

How did you get a price of $22,750.00 "out the door" (meaning including tax and license fees)? I paid $26K for ours (not including tax and licence) and that price was $7K off the MSRP price of $33K! On the flip side I will get $11.8K of tax credits and rebates, so I shouldn't complain.

Sorry, I don't recall anyone getting a $22,750 price OTD. Since where you live affects the sales tax, and registration and license fees, most people quote the price they get before sales tax, license, registration and doc fees.

Which is probably what the $22,750 is, price they got and how much they negotiated off of MSRP, before all the other add on "fees" the state you live in jacks you for.

kjhansen said:

I have the 2019 eGolf SEL since January this year and Android Auto works just fine. I usually connect my phone using a USB cable (USB-A to USB-C cable). Other than selecting "Android Auto" from the main menu, I don't have to do anything special to use all the Android Auto features (phone, maps, music, ...). Google Maps does reduce the volume of the car radio during announcements (and it completely silences Google Music should I listen to Google Music). While Google Maps is announcing I can change the volume of Google Maps without affecting the radio volume. If Google Maps is not announcing, any volume change is applied to the active audio input (like car radio or Google Music). I only had a little hick-up recently after resetting my phone. This left Android Auto with all permissions unchecked and I had to grant Android Auto all permissions again.

egolfEr said:
djsd said:
egolfEr said:

yes,...I regret getting the JB, It does give you future proofing and a lot of mobile functionality. The python cables are a bit cumbersome.
This is very YMMV. I have the JB 40 and the thickness of the cable never bothered me. I suppose if someone gave me the option of a thinner cable I would take it, but I prefer the JB features + thick cable over having fewer features + thin cable.
kjhansen said:

I haven't used the car's built in timing features but one of the benefits of the JB is ability to set charging timers and also dynamically adjust charging to when it is best in real time.

Back