car "started" but not "ready"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svento

For the second day in a row, this morning I put my foot on the brake, pushed the "start" button, then put the car into reverse and put foot on the gas, and nothing happened. I looked down and saw the car was "on" (ie, radio playing, backup camera on, etc), but the ready light was not on. I had to turn car off and repeat the process for it to be okay. The first time I thought maybe I forgot to do something (although I don't know what)... the second time it happened I am starting to wonder. Anyone else?

I ended up in this state by accident today, because I wanted to warm up the cabin of the car while I was getting my son into his car seat. Without getting into the car, I pressed the start button.

This limbo state happens when you press the ignition without pressing the brake. It is flawed that they allow you to put the car into drive even though driving is inhibited. The car can only go into the "ready" state if you press the brake while pressing the ignition.

Not to be insulting at all, but are you sure that you firmly pressed down on the brakes before you pressed start? If this keeps occurring, I wonder if your car isn't recognizing that your foot is on the brake when you start the car.

No insult taken! Actually, you have a good point that the car goes into that state with no brake press... I hadn't thought of that exactly. So, although I am pressing the brake before, I wonder if the more comfortable I get with the car, the more likely I am to basically be pressing the brake and start button very close to the same time... and maybe the car requires a split second more brake press before pushing start. I will be more conscious of braking, waiting a second, then pushing start and see if it happens again. (I'm used to pressing a clutch, brake, and then turning a key... so maybe one pedal and one button is just too easy for me :) )

Thank you for your post!

I discovered today that if you push the Start button without having the brake pedal down, but hit the brakes within a second or so, it will go into Ready mode.

I would add that you can also switch from "on" to "ready" by pressing the brake and then holding the start button for a second or two.

I'd like to be able to switch from "ready" to "on" without turning the radio off, in case I want to stop and finish listening to a song or talking on the phone before I get out. I don't think it's possible but if anyone has figured out a way let me know.

snAKes said:
I'd like to be able to switch from "ready" to "on" without turning the radio off, in case I want to stop and finish listening to a song or talking on the phone before I get out. I don't think it's possible but if anyone has figured out a way let me know.

I was actually in situation where I needed to do this yesterday (to keep talking on the phone over bluetooth). I decided that I would just keep the car on in park. I happened to also keep the AC system on because I wanted it, but I am guessing that with the car "on" but the AC system off, there can't be much power used. No more than if there was some separate way to have the car off and infotainment system on.

Back