2015 eGolf whining sound during charge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings all, I just purchased a used 2015 eGolf and am charging it for the first time on 110 VAC at my home. I am hearing a whining sound coming from the motor compartment some time after I start charging. Is this typical or should I be concerned? Thanks.

emptylorax said:
Greetings all, I just purchased a used 2015 eGolf and am charging it for the first time on 110 VAC at my home. I am hearing a whining sound coming from the motor compartment some time after I start charging. Is this typical or should I be concerned? Thanks.

Typical. It's water pump ciruclating coolant past the charge controller/transformer for the battery, it gets hot during the recharging process. It will sometimes run even after battery is completely recharged.

Without hearing the noise, it is hard to say what is normal and what is not normal. While the e-Golf does not have a liquid cooled battery pack, it does have a liquid cooled electric motor, power electronics, and charger (the thing that converts AC to DC power to charge the battery). I don't routinely listen to my car when it is charging, but I would imagine the coolant pump runs, if necessary, to cool the charger while the car is charging. This will probably make some noise.

Thanks for the quick responses. Some kind of coolant loop would make sense. I can often hear a water pump running after my wife's Prius is turned off. I'll poke around and see if I can pin point it to be sure. Nice to have some reassurance from you all though.

I hear a very very soft hum/‘whine’ from both our e-Golves while they charge but everything in the garage has to be off and silent to be able to hear it. I’m not sure if this is what you’re hearing?

Back