Car shuts off when I exit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klusters

Hi all,

We've had our eGolf now for over 2 months and I must say its quite a step up from our Ford Focus Electric that was traded in for it. Its not a home run in our eyes though. I'm not sure its a better vehicle overall when comparing it to our 2012 Leaf. The main issues we've had are with the infotainment system - small screen w/poor resolution, weak navigation software, and wonky back up camera.

One issue that we would love to fix has to do with the car shutting off when the driver exits. In the winter especially, we oftentimes prefer to have the car running for a minute or two to defog the windows or warm the cabin. But the HVAC shuts off - along with the rest of the car - as soon as the driver steps out.

Anyone found a fix for this?

klusters said:
Hi all,

We've had our eGolf now for over 2 months and I must say its quite a step up from our Ford Focus Electric that was traded in for it. Its not a home run in our eyes though. I'm not sure its a better vehicle overall when comparing it to our 2012 Leaf. The main issues we've had are with the infotainment system - small screen w/poor resolution, weak navigation software, and wonky back up camera.

One issue that we would love to fix has to do with the car shutting off when the driver exits. In the winter especially, we oftentimes prefer to have the car running for a minute or two to defog the windows or warm the cabin. But the HVAC shuts off - along with the rest of the car - as soon as the driver steps out.

Anyone found a fix for this?

Why not use the Car-net climate control to warm up the car in the morning? The climate control part of the app/service has worked reliably for me.

As far as the car shutting itself off, all cars that I've driven that have the proximity key shut themselves off when a driver exits the car with the key. It's a security feature.

I agree one option would be to use Car-net...but it would be nice to be able to leave the car running while not sitting in it without the app as sometimes these things cannot be prescheduled.

The key can remain in the vehicle and it still shuts off when sensing the driver has exited. I feel like this is a bit of unnecessary over engineering similar to the locking charger. We find it more of a nuisance to have to unlock the car before removing the EVSE nozzle.

klusters said:
I agree one option would be to use Car-net...but it would be nice to be able to leave the car running while not sitting in it without the app as sometimes these things cannot be prescheduled.

The key can remain in the vehicle and it still shuts off when sensing the driver has exited. I feel like this is a bit of unnecessary over engineering similar to the locking charger. We find it more of a nuisance to have to unlock the car before removing the EVSE nozzle.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Is it that after driving, you need to leave the car for a few minutes as you step away from the car?

Leaving the key in the car has worked for me. Even after an hour it was still on. I was using the car to light a jobsite one time and left the key on the center console do the it wouldn't shut off.

Was your car just on or in the ready to drive state?

I've had this happen. When I've backed out of the garage and then gone back to close the door (no remote here) the car has shut down. The info screen says it has 'shut down to protect the battery'. I can sort of understand that but it happens very quickly. I don't know if it's related to whether or not I leave the door open - I'll have to experiment.

Back