Air conditioning not working

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carc

Anyone else having problem with the a/c? It's 83 in LA and we're roasting - no chill at all... Back to the dealer.

Any chance you drive your car in one of the "eco" modes? I know that A/C is restricted in at least eco+ (not sure about eco). Other possibility is that you only a little charge left (I think less than 18) when it starts restricting options and accessories by itself.

It hasn't been quite as warm yet here (mid 70s) but I am pretty sure I've felt mine blow cold a few times.

Rub it in why don't you. Yesterday morning it was 9 F. Its currently 14. And we have another foot of snow scheduled for tomorrow.

Dealer installed Hvac software update and added refrigerant which was low (no leak was found) - this seems to have solved the problem.

I just had the software update applied to my e-Golf. Cool air is now available. It is well worth making an appointment to have the update applied.

Same here - the A/C in my wife's month-old eGolf stopped working yesterday. The symptoms were that the climate control panel behaved as if it was operating correctly - the yellow A/C LED was illuminated, and the climate control fan blew just fine - it's just that it blew ambient (not cold) air. When the A/C was turned on, the radiator fan up front behind the grill was *not* running as you'd expect that it should.

I took it to the dealer today - they updated the software, cleared the DTCs, and it's working now.

From the technician's notes:
- Found DTC P1C1A00, P1C3A00
- Performed Technical Bulletin 87-15-04 and AC Compressor First Run basic settings
- Reset DTCs

The service advisor mentioned something about one of the control modules was erroneously in a power-save mode, even though there was plenty of battery and the car was in normal (not Eco+) mode.

I asked him if I should bring in *my* eGolf (also a month old) to have it done proactively but he was under the impression that it had to fail before they could apply the fix, something about requiring the DTCs to be present before the software update could be done. I'm somewhat skeptical of that, but I'll probably end up waiting anyway.

I had the same thing and had to go back to the dealer to get it fixed. They were a less-than-impressive shop when it came to the technicalities of the eGolf and basically tried to tell me that I must have run the battery down to zero for it to get into this state. I hadn't done that and told them so and asked why even if it went into this state when the battery was depleted, why didn't it come back when the battery was recharged? They had no answer. I asked them wasn't there a service bulletin that covered the HVAC but they said no... They did say that if it happened again (meaning if I ran down to zero and wouldn't tell them), I'd have to go back to the dealer to get it reset again...

I'll take the details from dubelectric's post and make the longer journey back to the dealer I bought it from if I do have any more issues.

I've experienced these exact same HVAC issues a half dozen times or so, and here in South Florida it is very noticeable when the AC compressor isn't running! Thanks for providing the TSB #. I've forwarded that number to my local dealer and they have a call into VW to determine next steps (eGolfs not being sold down here, it make every service an adventure...)

Fingers crossed that the master tech is given the green light to perform the service.

dublectric said:
Same here - the A/C in my wife's month-old eGolf stopped working yesterday. The symptoms were that the climate control panel behaved as if it was operating correctly - the yellow A/C LED was illuminated, and the climate control fan blew just fine - it's just that it blew ambient (not cold) air. When the A/C was turned on, the radiator fan up front behind the grill was *not* running as you'd expect that it should.

I took it to the dealer today - they updated the software, cleared the DTCs, and it's working now.

From the technician's notes:
- Found DTC P1C1A00, P1C3A00
- Performed Technical Bulletin 87-15-04 and AC Compressor First Run basic settings
- Reset DTCs

The service advisor mentioned something about one of the control modules was erroneously in a power-save mode, even though there was plenty of battery and the car was in normal (not Eco+) mode.

I asked him if I should bring in *my* eGolf (also a month old) to have it done proactively but he was under the impression that it had to fail before they could apply the fix, something about requiring the DTCs to be present before the software update could be done. I'm somewhat skeptical of that, but I'll probably end up waiting anyway.

What is the TSB #, so that if mine becomes a problem, I know what to tell the service writer at VW, in case they are clueless.

Found it! Thanks JoulesThief.

My car has thrown 26 faults associated with the A/C system along with a Charger Module 2 failure and a BrakeBooster fault. Hoping these updates will fix the issues so I can get my car back.

I think my 2016 e-Golf is experiencing the same problem. Any ideas on how I can get that software update in the state of Nevada where the e-Golf isn’t sold and therefore not serviced? Both dealers in town pulled the “sorry, we’re not authorized” :x . I bought the car through CarMax and it would require a tow to the closest dealer in California if I can’t get it fixed here. Seems silly for a software update and/or refrigerant :?.

UPDATE: The service manager at the CarMax where I purchased the car realized the bind that I was in and was nice enough to look at the car. It turned out to be the same TSB so they cleared the code that was preventing the A/C from working. They couldn't do the software update to prevent it from happening again in the future but it's working again, at least for now. Hopefully VW and their dealer network get their heads out of their a$$es and start servicing these great cars, at least for non-electrical drive train problems.

If it helps any, here's the information that CarMax gave me regarding the problem:

https://varandian-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/g/personal/varand_movsessian_lasvegas_movsessian_net/EbLQ6kL7Dd5JpFzCGdTJ5w0BnnHfCamoBrtzbO28m-At8g?e=4xYc6f

We never noticed an issue, but our local VW dealer informed us that the A/C system pressure sensor had been leaking refrigerant. We have about 15k on the odometer. Ours could be an isolated issue, but common-mode failure is real, so this is something to watch out for.

Back