Rear hatch at top has small drop down compartment. What for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cove3

The rear hatch at the top has a small drop down empty compartment released by a small plastic screw. Around 5"x5". It has a pair of two plastic pronged fingers almost as though designed to hold a flashlight. I couldn't find anything in the manual.

Anyone noticed this and know what it's for? It's too small to be a toolbox or almost anything. The gas versions of some models, perhaps older, have a very large 5 compartment storage tray with pics showing sandals, sunglasses and I suppose tools but this is not that.

Ron

It's too small for a jack and in any event, there's no spare tire and there's no jack. If you get a flat, it has to be temporarily patched with the wheel on, using the tire mobility repair kit in the cargo area. Or if it's slashed or blown, the car would have to be towed.

The space for holding whatever the 2 pair of prongs are for don't look like any of the tools shown in the manual, which appear to go with a gas vehicle and not the e-Golf. There's a number stamped on the holder, but I haven't been able to find any parts schematics for the e-Golf on the internet

Ron

Yes, that's why I said "for golf versions with a spare". As you know, a huge majority of the car is the same for the e-Golf as the Golf, and I believe at least some of the Golfs have spares.

Anyway, clearly neither of us have the actual answer, I was just letting you know my thoughts (which was based on the size of my old BMW jack which was pretty close to the space in question in the e-Golf).

svento said:
Yes, that's why I said "for golf versions with a spare". As you know, a huge majority of the car is the same for the e-Golf as the Golf, and I believe at least some of the Golfs have spares.

Anyway, clearly neither of us have the actual answer, I was just letting you know my thoughts (which was based on the size of my old BMW jack which was pretty close to the space in question in the e-Golf).

Checked with my dealer after seeing it there, they had no idea......found it works great for a collapsible umbrella (we have been getting rain recently in SoCal!)

How about a first aid kit. I think European models require a first aid kit and reflective warning triangle. Just guessing.

It seems it would make more sense to keep a first aid kit in one of the many compartments in the front...each door, arm rest, by drivers knee, glove compartment, eyeglass holder, etc. . It also wouldn't explain the pair of clips.

I notice also the drop down is open on each end, so something held by the clips could be pretty long, extending well outside the compartment. It's purpose would seem to have to relate to some activity in the cargo area. Groceries, luggage, repair, towing, etc.

Where's Sherlock Holmes when we need him?

Ron

My dealer suggested it was a place to hang the orange triangle that comes with the roadside emergency kit. Pop up the hatch and hang it there for visibility.
Not sure I buy this, and don't have the kit to check.

Good try, but tell your dealer he needs to send his staff to driver training school. DOT guidelines are to immediately put on the emergency flasher and position triangles as follows

Placement of reflective triangles:

A. One triangle 10 feet behind, in the center of the lane.
B. One triangle 100 feet behind, in the center of the lane.
C. One triangle 100 feet in front, in the center lane.

drcox said:
My dealer suggested it was a place to hang the orange triangle that comes with the roadside emergency kit. Pop up the hatch and hang it there for visibility.
Not sure I buy this, and don't have the kit to check.

It's actually the storage location for the separate emergency triangle that you can purchase from VW (Part # 1Y0093055). Our MkIV Golf and Jetta both had a storage compartment for it above the rear wheel well, but this is probably a more efficient use of space. I never used it once in all the years of owning it for the other cars, but decided to buy it for the eGolf anyway just in case.

http://parts.vw.com/vwparts/index.cfm?action=accessories&makeid=35&manufacturerid=1000&catalogid=200&categoryid=40001&subcat1=0&subcat2=0&subcat3=0&subcat4=0&subcat5=0&modelid=1013&siteid=9&itemid=10853&jointvehid=19000&startyear=2015&startrow=16&partnumber=&description=&retval=%2Fvwparts%2Findex%2Ecfm%3Faction%3Daccessories%26siteid%3D9%26catalogid%3D200

Thanks. This is obviously the answer and would account for the open ends on each side and the two clips. Since I can get a set of 3 for the same price as the VW for 1, and since DOT recommends 3 triangles, 2 10' and 100' in back of the vehicle and 1 10' in front, I'm going to buy a set which comes with a fitted case, and store it beneath the cargo floor

Ron

Back