Do aftermarket wheels for e-Golf have an effect on range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone out there replaced the stock wheels on their eGolf? The stock wheels are beyond fugly, imo...

Setting aside any potential aesthetic debates, I'm wondering if anyone has noticed any impact on range by changing to a more conventional wheel design. I'm assuming that the stock wheels are designed as they are to minimize aerodynamic losses at high speeds. That said, the stock wheels (though I haven't weighed them) are undoubtedly heavy, so VW is accepting a power and torque loss (higher unsprung weight and rotating mass) in favor of the aerodynamic gains.

My theory is that by choosing a lightweight wheel of more traditional (and aesthetically pleasing) design, you may be able to make up for the potential aerodynamic losses with the gain in power and torque. I seem to remember an old racer's rule of thumb that every pound of unsprung weight saved is worth 5hp; and something similar for every pound of rotating weight to gains in torque.

So, assuming equivalence in tires/rolling resistance, I think you could make the case that lighter, non-aerodynamic wheels might result in higher miles/kWh than heavy, aerodynamic wheels- especially if your average speed is relatively low (as aerodynamics play a much smaller role at low speeds).

Any real-world experience out there to support or refute? Or am I trying too hard to justify what is really just an aesthetic decision? :) :)

-JM

Because the new Limited Edition comes with a very different wheel design, I'm of the opinion the range and handling differences will be very limited. I've seen numerous egolf pics with different wheels, so it's a common thing. I'm not sure the cost would be worth it, though

I also am not enthralled with the looks of the SEL wheels and made a post showing the Brooklyn wheel from the GTI which looks fabulous on an e-golf. There's some other wheel pics in the thread as well

http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=72

Ron

Aerodynamic drag affects efficiency more than you would think - at 28-30MPH a typical car, ~50% of the load comes from aero drag. I think lower rolling resistance tires would be a worthwhile improvement.

We have Nokian Hakka R2's on our Leaf, and it rolls much better than our e-Golf with its stock Continentals. I am surprised that VW didn't use the Continental ContiEcoContact EP tires.

Back