Step up transformer...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I only have a standard socket to charge my 2016 egolf, and have been considering for a while my options.

I had an idea last night which I think could end up blowing my car up but I'll ask anyway, I have a step up transformer from the UK that converts 110v to 220v which I bought when I first moved to the states to get my UK appliances working...

My question is, if I charged my car through that, would it make it fast charge or just blow the whole thing up?!

The transformer can not put out more power than it takes in (and due to entropic losses, it will output less power than it takes in) so I do not see the logic of doing this. Just use your L1 station if that suits your needs or get a proper 240 V circuit installed and buy a L2 EVSE.

Like F1 says, all it'll do is convert your 110v 15a socket to a 220v 7.5a but your wattage will remain constant. A 240v socket will be rated for 40 or 50 amps, so your wattage (which equals voltage times amperage) will be 9.6-12 kW. I don't think your converter will hurt (I imagine that it has a some sort of maximum wattage that would prevent over-pull and fry your system), but it certainly won't hurt.

Back