Can you do remote start with CarNet App?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't find a screen/button in the CarNet App to do remote start. I can do remote unlock.
Anyone knows what the user interface is for remote start?
TIA.

CarNet cannot "start the car" to avoid using the key fob. You should be able to start the climate control though.
What exactly did you expect to happen with "remote start"?

My son was out with the car and the key fob battery was totally out, no warning!
I remotely unlocked the car for him and he was looking for the sensor to get the car started. I was looking at the app trying to find "remote start".

Similar situation happened to me with my Tesla when my phone's battery ran out and my wife was able to remote unlock and start the car so that I can drive it home.

I noticed the screen shot here https://apps.apple.com/us/app/volkswagen-car-net/id1481486650
It looks like it has the START and STOP button but I am not running the latest version. ( Every time I updated the app previously I have had issues with their login. The older version I am using now works the best for me so I am not ready to update to face new bugs that VW introduces and they always do. However I couldn't find any "About" or "Help" screen that indicates the version number!)
I wonder if the START and STOP are only available for ICE cars.

Checked my car net for both 2019 Egolf and 2019 tiguan SEL. Neither have remote start, eGolf only has pre-heat / cool option along with lock/unlock and flash headlamp/horn.

My GMC app allows remote start of a locked car only, when you unlock you need key to drive it away. Looks like they don't want someone to get in your car thats warming up in the drive and get away with it.

You can't "start" the car remotely. The only things you can do remotely are start/stop climate control and window defrosting, lock/unlock doors, and begin/end charging.

If the key fob's battery dies, there's a tiny little slot underneath the left side of the door handle that you use to pry open a cover and expose a key hole. You can then use the key to get into the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OECOoNYZXmk

Once in the car, then you have to hold the fob up to the bottom right side of the steering column (there's an icon printed there) while pressing the start button. The car should then switch on.

For more details, check the manual.

The key fob's battery seems to die pretty quickly — in under a year for me. So I've bought some extra batteries that I keep in the glove box

manybees said:
You can't "start" the car remotely. The only things you can do remotely are start/stop climate control and window defrosting, lock/unlock doors, and begin/end charging.

If the key fob's battery dies, there's a tiny little slot underneath the left side of the door handle that you use to pry open a cover and expose a key hole. You can then use the key to get into the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OECOoNYZXmk

Once in the car, then you have to hold the fob up to the bottom right side of the steering column (there's an icon printed there) while pressing the start button. The car should then switch on.

For more details, check the manual.

The key fob's battery seems to die pretty quickly — in under a year for me. So I've bought some extra batteries that I keep in the glove box

@manybees, thanks for your detailed response. I was able to unlock the car remotely and my son found the instructions in the user manual on where the sensor is..

VW key fob drains battery fast as you said. I have had Toyota key fobs that easily last 4-5 years, I don't know why VW can't improve their key fob design.

I wonder why VW Car Net shows that START and STOP button on App Store when there isn't any VW car that supports it!

Back