Overly cautious car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GadgetGav

I found some overly cautious programming in the car's electronics this evening.
I pulled into the drive, put the selector into P and got out to go to the mailbox. When I got back in, I closed the door but it didn't close fully. As I'm only going the length of my drive, I didn't bother to re-close it, I just put the selector into D and went to move away. The central display told me to put the selector into P but I tried to ignore it. The car refused to move and when I touched the accelerator pedal it even applied the parking brake! It really was not going to move an inch with the door partially closed.
I know that the door catches on cars are two stage and the safety regulations say that the partially latched position is still latched enough to constrain the occupants. I don't know why VW decides that the first latch position is now too dangerous to let the car move at all.
Even once I'd re-closed the door I had to manually move the selector back to P, release the parking brake and only then could I move it to D and roll along my drive!

A lot of hassle to get my mail. My GTI would let me go along my driveway without properly closing the door. I hope I never need to move the car in any situation where I can't close the door for some reason.

I remembered having the door open once while driving, and only noticing it when the center LCD display stayed in the door-ajar state (I was deaf to the clanging bells at the time,) and when I stopped to shut the door properly had to deal with the same issues you did. So I knew you could drive with the door open.

I checked it out again with the same results, no problems driving, just the audible and LCD warnings. Then I realized that both times I'd started the car from the off state while the door was open, not opening it after the car was already started as you did*. Repeating your scenario is when the parking brake locked. However, I found that simply unlocking the brake allowed the car to move again. You just have to be able to tolerate the very loud clanging warning.

I don't believe the parking brake will lock if you're moving (at least above a very slow speed,) when the door opens, but I didn't think to test that, and am not sure I'm interested in risking the parking brake to do so -- I think it operates more akin to putting the car (or an automatic ICE) in park than the way emergency brakes operate in most cars.

*I'm amazed you were able to get out of your car to do anything at all and still get back inside before the system shut itself down due to no one in the driver's seat, to "protect the battery," as the LCD display states. I certainly can't do it with my locking mailbox. If that's all the time it takes to damage the battery at a standstill or whatever the problem is, I don't know what to make of what's happening while I'm sitting waiting for a traffic light. I would probably appreciate it turning itself off after 10 minutes or something if I forgot to shut it off after parking it in the garage, but 30 seconds or whatever it is is wayyyy too quick.

I agree that it tends to shut down very quickly - it's often hit and miss if I can close my manual garage door before it shuts down. I was lucky this time I guess, or the key was still inside which may give it longer..?

Despite what the LCD message says, I don't think it's really about "protecting" the battery, otherwise as you say, what's happening when stuck in traffic or at a light. I think it's more about not wasting range, though if the heating isn't on, it's not really doing much. Again, I think it's just a sign of overly cautious programming by VW.

I don't recall when the parking brake came on exactly. I think it was when I touched the accelerator but it might have come on as soon as I moved the selector out of P when the door was ajar. Either way I was just surprised that it would automatically deploy the parking brake in any circumstance. I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised when it will automatically release it if you pull away "correctly", i.e. with the door firmly closed.

And once cars are self-driving they'll be doing all this for themselves..!

I've noticed there's a checklist type logic to the way the car handles the parking brake.
If you do everything as you should; fully close all the doors, press the brake before hitting the start button, then shift into drive (or reverse) it will release the parking brake automatically for you. If you do any step wrong, it won't.
Today for instance, I was slightly too fast in hitting the start button so the "engine" wasn't on when I shifted into reverse to pull out of my parking space. It was hard to tell because the radio came on and there is no engine noise, so without paying attention to the lights and messages in the dash you don't really know you've done the sequence correctly. Anyway, I went to pull away and it said 'Depress brake to start' in the center display. I pressed the brake and hit the start button again, only I'd forgotten to move the selector back to 'P' so I got a message about that too. Finally I got power to the motor and the gearbox in reverse and still it wouldn't move without me manually releasing the parking brake...
Most other mornings I manage to do it correctly just through muscle memory, so it's rather confusing when it doesn't go to plan!

GadgetGav said:
I've noticed there's a checklist type logic to the way the car handles the parking brake.
If you do everything as you should; fully close all the doors, press the brake before hitting the start button, then shift into drive (or reverse) it will release the parking brake automatically for you. If you do any step wrong, it won't.
Most other mornings I manage to do it correctly just through muscle memory, so it's rather confusing when it doesn't go to plan!
I hear you on that! One way the car is a little forgiving, though, is that if you turn it on without stepping on the brake pedal, but do that within about a second (before doing anything else,) it will still proceed as though you had the brake on when you pressed start.

Why the car even wants the brake on when you're pressing start, instead of just when you put it in "gear," is another question. Maybe it's just to inhibit accidental full starting. Is it standard with all button-start (or newer key start,) cars, EV or otherwise?

jack8trades said:
I hear you on that! One way the car is a little forgiving, though, is that if you turn it on without stepping on the brake pedal, but do that within about a second (before doing anything else,) it will still proceed as though you had the brake on when you pressed start.

Why the car even wants the brake on when you're pressing start, instead of just when you put it in "gear," is another question. Maybe it's just to inhibit accidental full starting. Is it standard with all button-start (or newer key start,) cars, EV or otherwise?
That's a good tip - thanks!
I think the foot on brake to start is a VW thing, maybe their interpretation of safety rules. I'm pretty sure the GTI I had previously did the same thing with a traditional turn key start.

I was taught to start a car with my foot on the brake. This may be a carry-over from cars with clutches. I don't think it's overly cautious at all.

jack8trades said:
Every push-button start car I've seen requires your foot on the brake to fully start. My RAV4 EV goes to accessory mode if you don't have your foot on the brake.

GadgetGav said:
jack8trades said:

That's a good tip - thanks!
I think the foot on brake to start is a VW thing, maybe their interpretation of safety rules. I'm pretty sure the GTI I had previously did the same thing with a traditional turn key start.

Not all Golfs do that. I could start my previous 2014 Golf without pressing the brake. You need to press it to shift only.
My BMW is require pressing the brake to start the engine (Start button as well).

Back