iPhone bluetooth doesn't seem to always work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobk2824

I have my iPhone paired with the Bluetooth and connects up fine. I can press the home button to get Siri and it comes over the car's speakers, like it should. If I say "Directions home" she understands and plots it out.

The problem is that as I'm driving, the audio for the driving directions doesn't work. It doesn't come out of the car's speakers or the iPhone speaker. There is just nothing. If I press the button again, I immediately hear the tone over the car speakers, so it is connected to the Bluetooth.

This seems to be the same over Bluetooth, or if plugged into the lightning connector.

There was ONE TIME where it worked. I have no idea what I did.

Has anyone had luck getting this to work? Is there some trick?

Thanks,
Bob

I found the answer. If you tap the map it will show a "sound" icon in the lower right. Tap that and you can select sound goes to iPhone or Bluetooth. When I set it to Bluetooth it worked fine. It even would silence the radio when navigation prompts were playing. It doesn't explain why, when set to "iPhone", it didn't come out the iPhone. Anyway - hopefully this setting is "sticky" and I can forget about it.

bobk2824 said:
I found the answer. If you tap the map it will show a "sound" icon in the lower right. Tap that and you can select sound goes to iPhone or Bluetooth. When I set it to Bluetooth it worked fine. It even would silence the radio when navigation prompts were playing. It doesn't explain why, when set to "iPhone", it didn't come out the iPhone. Anyway - hopefully this setting is "sticky" and I can forget about it.

Excellent! I am not super excited about the on-board Nav, as it insists on telling me how to drive (like, "drive to the left in 100 ft" when there is just a bend in the road) instead of giving concrete directions. I hadn't been able to figure out the BT voice-over (though BT audio is excellent for media/music), so Thanks!

Cheers,
Tim

Back