Request for input re: ac/de-celeration glitches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been noticing rare operational glitches/inconsistencies with acceleration or deceleration during the 3.5k miles I've driven my car, usually a result of having just changed the B recuperation state, or the eco mode.

Just today, I was waiting for the right moment to engage B after coasting awhile in D, and when I did nothing happened, so I ended up having to hit the brakes pretty hard, once I got over the surprise of no deceleration. SoC was probably about 70%, besides which B had been working until then, and worked again after. I use B like this a lot and I think it's the first time this particular glitch occurred. I suppose it's possible I didn't pull hard enough or there was a rare failure of the lever to work -- alas, I didn't have the presence of mind to see what the display said before I toggled B again.

I've also, at least 3 times, in normal mode (not eco,) come to a stop (usually uphill,) and when trying to accelerate away quickly afterward, had nothing happen, which is of course disconcerting when trying to enter a small window in traffic. In those circumstances it's possible I'd just dis/engaged B, but I'm not sure. Either way, my usual response in those situations is to stop trying to go, so I don't know if additional pressure would have helped, or if flooring the accelerator would have enabled max power, as it does with the eco modes.

The last inconsistency is having the car feel like it's accelerating a little when I slightly reduce pressure on the the accelerator, causing me to reduce pressure a lot more, which has so far worked to start deceleration or coasting. I think when this happens, it's usually after just changing the eco mode.

All of these glitches are somewhat worrisome, so I'm asking fellow e-Golfers if they've noticed anything like them. If it's just my car, it clearly needs service. If not, well...

I haven't observed any of the conditions you've mentioned. I suggest you take your car in for servicing.

I've noticed what I think is a glitch in regen braking. As I come to turn into my driveway there's a poorly installed manhole cover just approaching the turning point. I'm usually braking gently as I hit it and I think the bouncing wheel confuses the ABS sensor or something because on more than one occasion I've felt a decrease in braking / increase in speed and it's not that my foot is bouncing off the pedal - the bump isn't that severe.

GadgetGav said:
I've noticed what I think is a glitch in regen braking. As I come to turn into my driveway there's a poorly installed manhole cover just approaching the turning point. I'm usually braking gently as I hit it and I think the bouncing wheel confuses the ABS sensor or something because on more than one occasion I've felt a decrease in braking / increase in speed and it's not that my foot is bouncing off the pedal - the bump isn't that severe.
If the car suddenly loses traction on one or both wheels, especially due to a bump, then it should temporarily reduce or cut the regen. However, it should come back once the tires are all rolling normally again. This is a normal part of the ABS/Traction Control system.

The original poster should definitely take the car in with a written description of their observations. That is not normal.

Frank3 said:
I haven't observed any of the conditions you've mentioned. I suggest you take your car in for servicing.
Do you often change to/from B regen and/or eco mode while driving, Frank? I haven't noticed any problems when I'm sure I haven't done those things... it always seems to be shortly after doing such that the incidents happen.

I also expect that they'll be extraordinarily difficult to reproduce at the dealer, since A) the Gremlin's Union generally frowns heavily upon their members getting caught in the act at such times, and B) they are pretty rare to begin with.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback so far!

If the car is not doing something that it should, the computer should have noticed and stored a code. I don't know how the VW system is programmed, but there may be something in the computer that the technician can see without it being reproduced on demand.

I have also noticed some weirdness after changing from B to D. Sometimes I get a slight surge when deceleration which is dangerous and unnerving. Other times I have had it actually regenerate when letting off the accelerator pedal in D.

To reproduce the surge, drive in B mode for a while, and while cruising at speed with the accelerator slightly pressed, change from B to D. Nothing should happen yet. Now gently let off the accelerator pedal, and you will often get a surge of acceleration as you are letting off the accelerator.

To reproduce the regeneration, drive in B mode for a while and while cruising at speed with the accelerator slightly pressed, change from B to D. Let off the accelerator fairly rapidly and watch the needle. It sometimes goes into regeneration. I have only noticed this once.

Back