I cannot get charging to stop at 80%. I have no cell phone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cove3

I've tried every setting in car net to have the car automatically stop charging at 80%. I have to remember to check the % on car net and stop the charging from car net, or else go down and disconnect the cable. Naturally, I forget to check and the car is always charged to 100%

I have an early car with no updates.

Ron

You should be able to achieve this using Web app using delayed charging.

Create a comfort/charging profile/location with charging to 80%. Then set a daily or weekly schedule using this location (any schedule should work). Finally, set the minimum level to 80% in e-Settings>basic settings.

Then the delayed charge orange button by your charge port will be lit. When you plug it in it will charge to 80% and stop. If you want to charge it to 100%, just hit the charge button when you plug it in. That cancels the delayed charge and charges fully instead.

Even with all of the delayed charging issues that exist and without the TSB applied, this should work.

Let us know if you try it and how it works out!

Another similar method that might work is discussed here:
http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=365

cove3 said:
I've tried every setting in car net to have the car automatically stop charging at 80%. I have to remember to check the % on car net and stop the charging from car net, or else go down and disconnect the cable. Naturally, I forget to check and the car is always charged to 100%

Ron
It's probably not going to work as designed if you haven't had the TSB applied. Mine has been updated and it works as I expect.

cove3 said:

Ron
No updates here, either. I have no problem charging to 90% using the method pointed to by snAKes, and by me a few months ago, last post in this thread.

But, it's all probably moot as the Car-Net.com website gets a major facelift tonight. Good chance you'll soon find it easier to setup.

The revamped Car-Net.com now has the minimum charge level at the bottom of the "Remote" tab/view of the website. The car always charges to that level as soon as it's plugged in*.

However, apparently a delayed schedule** is still needed to limit the charge, otherwise the car just automatically continues charging to 100%

I hope VW eventually provides an easier, more intuitive way to limit charge level, requiring you to then use a button, or Car-Net, to do a full charge.

* The Time-of-use (Night-Rate Timer,) setting might affect that, if it's working.
** It doesn't matter whether it's recurring or one time set far in the future, just that it's enabled and uses a battery profile set to charge to the same or lower percentage than your minimum level. If the bottom (delayed charging,) button by the charge port is lit when you plug in, delayed charging is active.

I can maybe see why people who own the car and are planning on keeping it longer than the 8 year warranty on the battery pack might care about limiting the charge level, but for everyone who's leasing, why not have maximum range available when the car is charged? After you've used it the first time from charging it'll probably be below 80% anyway.
Also, do we know for sure that the percentage charge is relative to the absolute capacity of the battery? Maybe what the car calls 100% is actually 80% of the capacity of the battery pack so that it can manage a full charge behind the scenes without user intervention.

Say you needed to do two journey's that would take 45% of the battery. Is it better for the battery pack to be charged once to 100% and run down to 10% before recharging or to be charged twice to 80% and run down to 35%..?

I think there are so many unknowns with EVs regarding battery pack life, the way any particular manufacturer's software manages the battery pack and the driving style as the battery is depleted that it's almost impossible to care for the battery in the optimal way. I'm just going to count on the 8 year warranty and my 3 year lease..!

I charge to 90% most of the time for several reasons: I don't like the reduction of regen availability at high SoC; there seems to be a consensus that the closer SoC stays to 50%, the longer the battery lasts (granted, it's typically only a very small improvement,) and since 90% easily handles my daily needs, why not? Charging from 90 to 100% takes like 15 min. on my L2 EVSE, so no biggie there, either; and finally, because it's a bit of fun having the control to game the system. Oh, and I want to try keeping things their best in case I decide to buy the car in 3 years. There's probably other reasons that I can't remember ATM.

The actual capacity is 24.2 kwh, but you can only use and charge to 21.1kwh. That extra 14% cushion is for conserving the battery. Naturally, some manufacturers shave to squeeze out some additional range.

However, charging to 80%, if you don't need more for the days trip, adds even a little more conservatism and should reduce the wearing down of battery capacity somewhat. The reason for doing it is to keep the range over time as close to the original 83 miles as possible. This even if it's a lease. The other reason is to help save the planet. The magnets, rare earths, lithium and other components of the car are scarce resources which all of us are entrusted in preserving, even if a lease, as we should want to pass on to the new owner a car as close to when we first acquired it.

Ron.

jack8trades said:
cove3 said:
...even if a lease, as we should want to pass on to the new owner a car as close to when we first acquired it.

Ron.
I applaud this reasoning... practically avoidable waste is a loss to everyone.

Plus some people like me that knew they are going to blow past the 10k or 12k miles included in a 3 year lease did purchase the car outright instead of worrying about cost per mile.

We are probably putting on 36k miles in those 3 years and hope to keep it for much longer.

2015 e-Golf SEL metallic blue / L2 siemens 7.2kW charger in garage / 10 kW solar system (60-70kWh daily production in June) on roof :)

Skryll said:
Plus some people like me that knew they are going to blow past the 10k or 12k miles included in a 3 year lease did purchase the car outright instead of worrying about cost per mile.
As I said, I can understand why owners who want to keep the car for a long time are concerned about prolonging the battery as long as possible.

I'm still not convinced that we have access to enough data or knowledge of how the car actually manages its battery pack to know that charging to an indicated 80% (actually 69% of the pack maximum) is significantly better over a 10 year timeframe than charging to an indicated 100% (86% of the pack maximum) especially as it means you'll be charging more often. What's going to deplete the battery capacity the most is use and you're going to drive the same number of miles whatever state you charge to.

As for saving the planet, long after these batteries are no longer useful in traction battery packs they will find uses elsewhere. Tesla and Mercedes already have wall mounted home batteries available and I'm sure VW group will follow suit or at least sell used packs into that market. The resources used to make the batteries will be in use one way or another for a long time after I am done with the car.

My thinking is that until years of data and testing are available, it can't hurt to be conservative. Because the egolf battery isn't cooled, I would think a longer charge to 100% would heat up the battery more than a charge to 80%. It's really no problem to plug it in now that I seem to be successful getting it to automatically stop at 80%

Back