Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Found my battery's aging %, seems low -- or is it?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:35 am
Posts: 43
Brought my car into the shop yesterday to check the cabin heating system. All was fine. However, a secondary goal was to get a diagnostic log printout so I could comb through it for a capacity or "state of health" percentage on the battery. Success!

On page 26 of 60, under "Battery Monitoring measured values", these two numbers pop up:

Param_SOHP 89%
Param_SOHQ 89%

"SOHP" means "State of Health Power". Not sure what "SOHQ" is, but it is the same number.

I was expecting 98-99% for a new car.. but 89%? But then it hit me... the eGolf's "usable" battery capacity is understood to be around 21-22kWh for the 24.2kWh battery. 24.2kWh * 89% = 21.5kWh. My hypothesis is, cars are sold with a SOH @ ~90%, which gets everyone their "usable" battery capacity figures. This led me to wonder... the battery warranty is 70% capacity. Does that mean I only need to lose 19% more before having a warranty claim?

I'd be very curious to see someone's numbers that have a VCDS cable, or a diagnostic report.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Found my battery's aging %, seems low -- or is it?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:26 pm
Posts: 65
I'm curious to learn more about this as well. The mynissanleaf forum was very informative about that battery, I had a LEAF DD that told me all sorts of information about my battery. Now I feel as if I'm flying blind in my e-Golf.

_________________
-2015 Pacific Blue VW e-Golf SEL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Found my battery's aging %, seems low -- or is it?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:35 am
Posts: 43
REM wrote:
I'm curious to learn more about this as well. The mynissanleaf forum was very informative about that battery, I had a LEAF DD that told me all sorts of information about my battery. Now I feel as if I'm flying blind in my e-Golf.


Yup, I feel the same way. I looked into buying a VCDS cable, but it is very expensive to get the right one ($249+).

The good news is, you can decode it if you can get a full, long diagnostic report printout from your dealership. I'm going to e-mail my local eGolf shop with the followup questions.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Found my battery's aging %, seems low -- or is it?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:26 pm
Posts: 65
phr00t wrote:
REM wrote:
I'm curious to learn more about this as well. The mynissanleaf forum was very informative about that battery, I had a LEAF DD that told me all sorts of information about my battery. Now I feel as if I'm flying blind in my e-Golf.


Yup, I feel the same way. I looked into buying a VCDS cable, but it is very expensive to get the right one ($249+).

The good news is, you can decode it if you can get a full, long diagnostic report printout from your dealership. I'm going to e-mail my local eGolf shop with the followup questions.


That's good to know. I was underwhelmed by the vehicle health report diagnostic thing in car-net, and I'm not planning on spending the $ for a VCDS cable.

_________________
-2015 Pacific Blue VW e-Golf SEL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Found my battery's aging %, seems low -- or is it?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:35 am
Posts: 43
REM wrote:
phr00t wrote:
REM wrote:
I'm curious to learn more about this as well. The mynissanleaf forum was very informative about that battery, I had a LEAF DD that told me all sorts of information about my battery. Now I feel as if I'm flying blind in my e-Golf.


Yup, I feel the same way. I looked into buying a VCDS cable, but it is very expensive to get the right one ($249+).

The good news is, you can decode it if you can get a full, long diagnostic report printout from your dealership. I'm going to e-mail my local eGolf shop with the followup questions.


That's good to know. I was underwhelmed by the vehicle health report diagnostic thing in car-net, and I'm not planning on spending the $ for a VCDS cable.


Seriously. I ran the Car-Net thing, and got a "report" which basically told me no warning indicators are being displayed on my dash. Super helpful!

Awaiting e-mail reply....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Found my battery's aging %, seems low -- or is it?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:35 am
Posts: 43
Called my dealership & had the service lady ask the eGolf specialist.

eGolf specialist said the 89% "State of Health" value is "Good" & he didn't know about the warranty question. Getting real answers on this may be harder than anticipated.

Feel free to call your dealership's service tech & have them bounce questions off of their "eGolf specialist".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Found my battery's aging %, seems low -- or is it?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 3:20 pm
Posts: 86
I have full channel maps (it shows whatever is exists and value for that) on my laptop for my eGolf that I've got from VCDS at home I will try to search for those.

Will post it here later on. That would be nice thing to monitor for sure.

I'm going to my 10K service soon so I will ask to give me that diagnostic report as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Found my battery's aging %, seems low -- or is it?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:01 pm
Posts: 2295
vetaldj wrote:
I have full channel maps (it shows whatever is exists and value for that) on my laptop for my eGolf that I've got from VCDS at home I will try to search for those.

Will post it here later on. That would be nice thing to monitor for sure.

I'm going to my 10K service soon so I will ask to give me that diagnostic report as well.


I am wondering if you need to fully top charge the car before running the diagnostics test, or scan on VCDS, for SOC and condition of battery?

_________________
2015 e-Golf SEL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Found my battery's aging %, seems low -- or is it?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:35 am
Posts: 43
vetaldj wrote:
I have full channel maps (it shows whatever is exists and value for that) on my laptop for my eGolf that I've got from VCDS at home I will try to search for those.

Will post it here later on. That would be nice thing to monitor for sure.

I'm going to my 10K service soon so I will ask to give me that diagnostic report as well.


If it helps track things down, the section actually looks like this:

Function call-up: sys x 1 0413 11 Start Stopp Kapitel 6 MQB 00011

Test step: Supply

Test step: Vehicle selection

Test step: Battery monitoring measured values

/Param_MatchRecorDataIdent 12 05
/Param_RecorDataIdent EM_prcSoh
/Param_DataRecor/Param_SOHP 89.0%

Looking forward to what you see. My car has about ~1900 miles on it, but it was manufactured in 10/14, so it is about a year old now (even though I've had it just for a month).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Found my battery's aging %, seems low -- or is it?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:01 pm
Posts: 2295
Bump, now that these cars are getting some more miles and more checkups on them, for Battery conditions.

_________________
2015 e-Golf SEL


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
© Volkswagen e-Golf Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group