Key Fob Battery Life

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hetz8500

Has anyone else gotten this message and had to replace their key fob battery? I appreciate that the car notifies me that it's low rather than no warning at all, but I find it odd that with normal usage and only 8 months of owning the car that the battery needs to be replaced. My fob on my previous car that was keyless lasted over 2 years before dying on me.

7421460.jpg

It is what it is, replace the battery. Perhaps you don't know it but the keyfob in your pocket seated while driving are pushing buttons and wearing the battery out? It's not like the key fob is sitting in the ignition switch like previously.

I too think that perhaps a button was continuously pressed for a long time, possibly while in a pocket or purse. The buttons on my Leaf's keyfob are particularly easily pressed while in my pants pocket. I know this because the car will suddenly sound its panic alarm :oops:

I don't think that's the case, as I don't keep my keys in my pocket or a bag. They're either on a hook or in my cupholder. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this message or had to replace their fob battery yet.

Hetz8500 said:
I don't think that's the case, as I don't keep my keys in my pocket or a bag. They're either on a hook or in my cupholder. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this message or had to replace their fob battery yet.

Looks like you are the first.

Replace the CR 2025, or whatever the battery is in your keyfob, there's instructions in the Owners manual on how to do so. takes less time to do so than it does to type it up in here, and keep coming back to follow up. If it keeps on occurring, maybe then you have a problem, but 1x, not an issue yet, you are the first.

Just got my warning today. Registered just to add another data point. Had my little golf kart since Dec. 1, 2014. So ~18 months. My 13 year old Jetta fob had its battery replaced only once and I don't even use the button but once a day or less to unplug the charge plug. Normally I just open the door with the fob in my pocket.

DominicWu said:
Just got my warning today. Registered just to add another data point. Had my little golf kart since Dec. 1, 2014. So ~18 months. My 13 year old Jetta fob had its battery replaced only once and I don't even use the button but once a day or less to unplug the charge plug. Normally I just open the door with the fob in my pocket.

18 months is not that unusual for a full keyless entry/ignition system. That's how often the battery would go bad on my Leaf's keyfobs. I didn't replace the battery, I simply used the other fob :lol: By the time that battery was getting low, it was time to turn the car in.

We had to replace the battery in both our keys - they lasted only ~14 months. Which is not very good. Our Leaf keys are still fine and we have had them ~18 months.

I had to replace my key fob battery after just ten months. Figuring that this will thus be a regular thing, I ordered a pack of FIFTEEN of these suckers for just $7 and put them in my glove compartment. Here's the Amazon link: http://goo.gl/mL2QFM

Golfcart said:
I had to replace my key fob battery after just ten months. Figuring that this will thus be a regular thing, I ordered a pack of FIFTEEN of these suckers for just $7 and put them in my glove compartment. Here's the Amazon link: http://goo.gl/mL2QFM

Might last a lot longer if you stored them out of the heat, and in the refrigerator.

Yea, got same message in about a year of owning my eGolf.

Replaced battery and in week or so got same message... Verified that battery still has 3V of juice, not sure what's going on here.
Do not do anything yet, just have spare battery handy, just in case.

I have buying a blank key off ebay and then going to Davie Locksmith. Not many locksmiths have the capabilities to programme keys as the kit isn't cheap,but they are expert in this are quite affordable.

Considering the egolf doesn't really use a key (Despite having a physical key for the glove box) I'm going to call Shill on the post above.

And many locksmiths can reprogram keys nowadays, heck Home Depot has a machine that can do it now.

I started getting the message after about 14 months and 8,000 miles on the 2015 that I traded in.

I just started getting the warning on my primary key after just less than 18 months and just under 10,000 miles.
I'm going to switch to the other key and see if that has more juice left in it.

Getting the warning on my 2016 that I leased end of Oct 2015, barely 8 months, < 5000 miles!

I have a 10 year old Prius that I have only changed key fob battery ONCE!

Also started receiving the message on one of my two key fobs about 11 months into the lease, 11k miles.
Ignored it and not the message has not appeared again.

Back